1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive 6 string soapbar P pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whitenoise17, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Title says it all. I’m looking for P pickups in a soapbar format for my 6-string Ibanez GIO.
    They need to be passive, as I want to put a 2 or 3-band EQ in with them.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Not sure the exact pickup size on that one, but Bartolini makes a wide variety of quad-coil 6-string pickups that you could use a switch for to get to a P or reverse-P layout (or full quad, for that matter.) I had a pair of Bartolini quad-coils years and years ago in a custom 6 and they were very nice, but they did also benefit from a preamp, even it is just boost only.

Product categories 6-String | Bartolini Pickups and Electronics

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Nordstrand BigSplit comes to mind. They also sell Dingwall pickups that have a split design, but use large neo magnets. 6 String Soapbar Bass Pickups

Though, no soapbar can physically house a true P split coil, those coils are too wide. Then again, it's not like there's a well established idea of a 6 string P, so I'm sure close enough is good enough :)

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Onboard EQ can be used in conjunction with either active or passive pickups.

Delano makes quad-coil soapbars that can be split to P or reverse-P orientation. And EMG makes the 45P, though I don’t know what size your current pickups are.

5. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Well, I’ve only got one battery box, and I’d rather not route out another one. I want to keep the amount of batteries to a minimum of one. I think I’m gonna go with the Bartolini Passive P’s and then go with a Seymour Duncan 2 band stack

6. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    Here is the link to Bartolini coil configurations. The "split coil" pickups have offset coils like a P-bass pickup. The Nordstrand BigSplit has 2 inline coils.
    Pickups Coil Types : Bartolini Answers and Solutions

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Active pickups can share the same voltage source as an onboard preamp. In fact the vast majority of them do. This is the standard way to do it; to split them is pointless in all but the most unusual of scenarios.

8. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Wouldn’t that wear down the battery quicker?