Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive/Active question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Mar 23, 2005.

1. I have an old BC Rich which previous to my owning has been totally beat up and the wiring hacked apart. Nobody has a correct wiring diagram for it since its not a USA model, and all of BC Rich's records for older korean basses were destroyed in a flood. I brought it to a guitar tech and he couldn't do anything with it.

Its currently set up with two P-pickups connected to volume1, a pickup select, volume2, and a tone. Could I rewire it to include a switch that would bypass the tone control in favor of an active preamp?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you're going to install an onboard preamp anyway, why not just remove the existing passive tone circuit in favor of the active circuit?

3. bass101

bass101

Mar 23, 2005
    I agree with Silky, go active. More punch, more tone options, etc. Unless your bass is worth more in the original configuation. Everyone is going to have an opinion so I won't give you mine as far as which setup to go with, Duncan, EMG, Bartolini, Aguilar, take your pick. You can get a decent price on pickups and pre-amps here or on e-bay.

Good luck.

4. Well this might sound like a silly reason to want both, but the bass has about 9 holes in the control cavity from the BC Rich set up, so I was wondering if I could fill all of them and still have something useful that might sound good. Stock should have volume 1&2, pickup selector, tone, preamp on/off switch, 3 micro toggles, and an 8 position rotating toggle. Its really strange. The Aguilar OBP-3 with the mid select and passive/active switch almost has enough options to fill everything, its short one knob though. :shrug: Thanks

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    For what its worth, I'm installing an EMG P/J set on my newly acquired Virgin 4 string. It will have (for now) the standard two volume and one tone setup. I do plan on adding maybe a BQC setup later.

If you really want to get crazy use 2 volumes and 2 EMG B30EQ or B64EQ units, one for each pup. That would give you 8 pots to play with! :eek: As for that last hole to fill, good luck!