Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive Active??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shryman, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Hey im kind of new at this I just want to know what the diference between passive and active pickups is?
    any help would help
    Eric

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In general, a passive electronic circuit doesn't need a power source (e.g. battery) to function, whereas an active one won't work without one.

The vast majority of bass pickups are passive, EMG offers some of the few active ones that have integrated preamps/line buffers and won't work without a power source.

Most active basses have passive pickups and an additional active preamp/EQ. This allows you to run a lot of basses in either passive or active mode.

3. so what does an active pick up do does it sound better or just use a battery to send the electric signals to the amp?

4. the active ones have a different type of output signal..not tone..and so are more suited to certain conditions..
    the explanation is here
    its not just emg who make active but they give a good explanation etc..:)

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    It's worth noting tho that in active vs passive systems although the pick up is the same, you do get a different tone from passive compared to active, even without the EQ settings adjusted.

i cant explain why i'm afraid, i just know you get a different soudn from a passive system.

Also, with active EQ you can boost/cut bass/mid/treble, with passive you can only cut. that is right isn't it?!