Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive American Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Sep 21, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have an active 4 string bass that I always run in passive mode (never really planned it that way, it just sounds good to my ears). Now I want to go with a simple, passive 5 string and I've always been partial to Jazz basses. The new American Series Jazz V seems to fit the bill nicely. But I wonder how well the low B and the bass overall sounds as its strictly a passive bass. I know these new Fenders have this S1 switching business which basically switches the pickups from series to parallel like on my G&L (cool!). But is there enough totally heft in those passive electronics to handle a five string? I mean, this isn't a Roscoe Beck Jazz with all those whistles and bells. Any owners out there hip to this axe?

r

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 1997 USA Standard passive jazz bass. I love it. The "B" string is just fine.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey, Me too, and Me too. :D

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is great news. The only passive 5 I've ever heard a good thing about is the Roscoe. I wouldn't mind scoring something used on the cheap but I must admit, I'm leaning more towards one of the new American Series J Vs. I've tried other American Series guitars and basses and gezz, Fender has definitely beefed up the quality control and attention to detail since the older American Standard Series. However if the price is right, I'd grab an older JV as well.

Thanks!
    r

PS Say, does the older models have through body stringing option?

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    When you say "older American Standard Series" are you referring to the early 90's "banana" basses with the hideous upper horn?

My '97 USA Jazz V has through-body stringing. It makes it so you need extra long strings. QC is fantastic, everything about this bass is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I've played a Roscoe Beck from the same year and it was just as nice, but I prefer the Jazz personally.

Click the link in my avatar to see my sonic blue jazz bass in one of the pictures. It is nowhere near for sale.