1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive bass Blues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I swapped my Lakland 55-02 for a MIA Fender Jazz V and the bass sounds and plays fine. The problem is that I now realize just how much i am used to active basses. I really miss the tonal output and options. I also miss the lack of hum when soloing pickups (I know that's a single coil issue, not an active passive issue, but i thought i would mention that too.)

I played an Ibanez SRX705, and I really enjoyed the power of an active bass. I played a Music Man Stingray SR5 HH and it made my Jazz sound like an acoustic guitar. That said, my Jazz sound fine, but I do miss that active punch.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Your amp has a gain knob I assume? turn it up when you play the passive bass.

BTW passive basses are great for blues.

3. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    or get passive Bassline Quarterpounders.
    I have to play mine through my amp and set the -10 db switch just like I were using active basses.

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The skies opened and a bright light shone all around and a great voice proclaimed, "Thou shalt have 7 knobs and 3 switches even on thine humble jazz bass!"

[​IMG]

5. I love passive basses! My Reverend Rumblefish 5L, and Ibanez RKB900 are two of the most powerful instruments I have ever played, and I have three other active basses (Ibanez BTB1206e, EB/MM Sterling, Carvin LB70PF).

I'd suggest maybe trying different strings on the jazz bass and maybe working the EQ a bit more on your amp.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know all I have to do is turn it up, but I guess I just got used to active response. I guess my ideal bass is like a G&L L-2500 which works well active and passive.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, there ya go then;)
    G&L's a fine bass.

If you dig your Fender J5 in all other aspects...you could try adding an aguilar OBP pre, or J retro pre...

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Get a Sadowsky pre/DI

Rob

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a wierd situation with my passive basses. They are both as looud as any other bass I have. My peavey foundation sounds HUGE. I can run my active jazz on 5, but the peavey can be run on 2 for the same volume. The only other bass I have that is near that output level is my active p-bass, which has the hottest output of all.

10. A fine suggestion.

I've never been a outboard pre kind've guy until trying one.

They make your bass essentially sound like a whole 'nother animal, which helps a ton when you love the feel of a bass but do not like the sound as much.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Outboard preamps for electric bass make absolutely no sense to me (for that matter, active EQs make little, but at least some, sense to me). There's a preamp built into your amplification device. If that's not sufficient for your needs, buy a new one. Stacking one preamp on top of another does nothing positive IMO. Now, for acoustics I can see the advantage, particularly to tame feedback quickly.

13. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    You know, I have a Sadowsky NYC P bass that I run in passive 80% of the time when playing live. Sounds more 'natural', if that makes any sense, and still cuts through nicely. I guess it's getting over the culture shock of having a less 'in your face' sound. But once you adjust, you might find it preferable.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 I have a Peavey Foundation with the Super Ferrite pickups and that sucker is loud! If it were a five, I might not be having this discussion.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have decided that the only way to get around this problem is to break my long-standing two bass limit. I'll get a Tribute L-2500 to go along with my Fender and Peavey. I just hope my wife doesn't kick my n*ts off!:eek:

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    If you can find a used Tribute L2500, she won't even miss the money. I got mine for less than $400, with HSC and shipping. You'll like it lots!

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My passive Yamaha BB414 has a significantly hotter output than my Bartolini equipped active Yamaha BB605.