1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive bass directly to EQ pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I've been thinking of buying an EQ (like Boss GEB-7 or Dunlop M-108). The thing is my bass is passive and I've got no preamp. So it's going to be like:
    bass -> EQ -> amp

Are there any pitfalls in such a circuit in terms of noise and overall sound quality? Maybe you have some tips?

Thank you in advance.

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    No problems there. Enjoy shaping your tone!

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's like being worried about putting gasoline directly in your car's gas tank. Both those pedals are designed to work with passive instruments.

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    EQ is a great tool, and there are lots of options in the market these days. Between the two units, I would go M108 because of two things: the gain slider and the 18V headroom.

They both can introduce a bit of noise, and it's partly the nature of an EQ filter. But you can also tune some of the noise out with them.

As far as use goes, remember that taking away is sometimes more effective than adding. Take breaks in between EQ adjustment sessions so your ears can better hear changes. When making changes, sweep the full range, so you trick your ear into hearing a small change, this also helps reduce fatigue on your ears.

In the end, have fun and be open to changing your settings from time to time.

5. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I actually can't choose between them and also Maxon G601, Mooer Graphic B and Yamaha NE1 (the latter appears to be a scooper). Oh, also they have 6 band Dunlop M109. I'm absolutely lost lol

6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    What are you hoping an EQ will do?

Stumbo likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Does your amp have an effects loop?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What problem are you trying to solve?

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Cut whenever possible is definitely a good rule of thumb.

In terms of minimizing noise, though, it can be beneficial to try splitting your curve above and below 0 by both cutting and boosting.

For example, if you want a smiley face curve where the lowest and highest bands are 6db louder than the center band, on a lot of inexpensive graphic eq's you would have better overall noise and headroom by boosting the outer bands by 3 and cutting the center bands by 3 instead of either boosting the outer by 6 and leaving the center at 0 or leaving the outer at 0 and cutting the center by 6.

Getting the same overall curve by avoiding the extremes in any single band, if that makes sense.

The other thing OP should do when choosing is learn how the frequencies match up to the range of the instrument. Where the fundamentals and harmonics fall in terms of hz.

10. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I'm hoping to fake Steve Harris's sound, with a good high mid to get that readable timbre.
    Mine has,but I don't count on it as I often have to play on other amps.

knumbskull likes this.
  11. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Maybe a parametric EQ is better suited then, something like the Boughton Parametric EQ is an awesome choice. Or the BMC is a simple and effective solution.

12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I cannot recommend the Whirlwind Bass Ten enough. Every slider seems perfectly tuned for the bass guitar... it goes from 30hz to 3k so it can act as a great hpf to get rid of (or emphasize) the super lows (+/- 15db) and it can push a poweramp or powered monitor without any problems whatsoever. When I don't have an amp, i use this and a compressor straight into whatever board or powered speaker is available and have never had an issue. It's also built like a tank, and runs on 18V so you've got all kinds of headroom. Its basically my desert island pedal, so please excuse me if I'm gushing a bit. Lol

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    fclefgeoff likes this.
  13. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    many eq pedals will always ad/have extra gain ... = preamp-ish

or have boost built in ... more gain - like a preamp , but usually not as much gain ...

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The MXR M81 three band EQ has two gain stages, loads of juice. Good musical sounding bass eq in a pedal.

15. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    A local store is selling out M108's at a good price, I'm being tempted. I'm afraid it's too heavy, and someone said it lacks true bypass. Has anyone dealt with this EQ and is it worth buying?

16. One pitfall- be sure that the last pedal in the chain has enough output to drive the amp.

If the "amp" is a head, then the above comment is moot.

If the "amp" is a power amp, then you may or may not have enough output from the last pedal to drive it sufficiently (see any of my comments/posts about the Ampeg SCR-DI/Tronographic Rusty Box output level variations...).

YMMV

superheavyfunk likes this.
  17. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Get this guys GEB-7 with the mod if you are leaning toward the Boss pedal at all.
    Modest Mike's Mods- guitar effects pedals and mod service!
    I had one a few years ago and sold it to get a source audio one that had presets. At the time I was not liking to have to keep re-fiddling with the little sliders on the GEB-7 every time I set up.
    I bout the modified GEB-7 from Reverb and what is better about it is that the whole thing is cleaner and tighter sounding. The little slider for input gain is basically a clean boost you can eq.

18. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    The passive/active differences won't affect your pedal other than the input gain, which most pedals can handle the +10dB or so difference. However, learning how to EQ is paramount. I recommend studying some YouTube videos on mixing to get an idea on how to do it. Owning a tool doesn't mean you know how to use it well.

basscapes likes this.
  19. EXACTLY!!!

As a (now famous) sound engineer once said to me- "know how to work the tools, or you risk becoming one!"

jaymelewis likes this.
  20. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Love it!