1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive Bass Problem: Low End Distortion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dr Ass, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Dr Ass

Dr Ass

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some help with this one... I have a gig in under a week!!!

I have a passive 1970s Yamaha "Super Bass" Two Jazz type pickups with standard setup Vol Vol Tone...

Yesterday at our dress rehearsal (we recorded) I noticed a distortion sound in the bass channel...

On further investigation I have unplugged and repluged everything and the sound has vanished...

Any ideas what it was

Setup: My Bass to Aguilar Tone Hammer (no earth switch post EQ) Run on Phantom Power XLR to Fostex Desk then to computer... (all other chanels recorded OK...

Just don't want it to happen again live!!

www.groovesahlem.com/basstest.mp3

Thanks Guys

2. If you were recording, then IMO it was probably a computer issue not a bass issue. Some times if your computer is running too many tacks simultaneously it will do silly things.

3. i agree maybe the tone hammer was making it a bit hot. to the computer..for pre i use i have to roll back on the gain on recordings from what the manual says to make mine clean enough... live its fine thru a cab . seems like a simple live setup you should be fine...its def not your bass....and low or almost dead batteries in anything you r running into will cause dist at times also.. (i know you said you were on phantom)0 but in general ive forgotten and been like what the F man???)..hope this helps...

4. Dr Ass

Dr Ass

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Guys... Problem seems to not be in the bass as suggested.. (its passive...)

On further investigation the bass is fine...

It could be that the desk is not putting enough phantom power out.... or the computer as said...

My headphones seem to be creating the second lot of distortion during my testing... Will take back up batteries to the gig for the Aguilar...

Thanks guys

Mike P
    www.themedicinemanlive.com