Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive bass with P-PU as much output as an active bass with soapbar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Hey there!

Is it possible for a Passive preci with a Dimarzio PU to have just as much output as my active Yamaha bass with Stock soapbard pickups?

Or is there something broken?

2. Sure, that's quite possible. DiMarzio P pickups are pretty hot, as I recall.

Just because a pickup is soapbar shaped doesn't indicate anything at all about how it's wired or what its tone and output are like, and having an active EQ doesn't necessarily mean boosting the output, either.

Mike

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Palaedium has very hot passive output also. It's definitely possible.

Also, on lots of active EQ sections there is a potentiometer inside the control cavity which determines the max output. This is used typically to throttle back the active output so as to not overdrive an input stage on whatever preamp/amp/combo you're using and still be able to crank the volume to "10" on the bass itself.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It's absolutely possible. I used a DiMarzio Model P for a while, and it was much hotter than either of the active basses I've owned, both of which had two pickups: a 2003 Ibanez SRX 500 and a 1999 Am. Deluxe Precision.

5. no this is not possible.

6. Really?

:p :D