1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive Blend Knob: possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hopper, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Anyone know?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'm pretty sure blend knobs are passive by nature (in fact, the only Active one I can think of is EMG's). You just need to find one with proper resistance measurements that wont drastically drop the signal when blended, and also to make sure that the pickups are wired correctly so as to avoid phasing out.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I thought all blends were passive.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    99% of blends on basses are passive. Passive blending sucks beans, but it is by far the norm for both passive and active basses.

The only exceptions I know of off the top of my head are Audere, Glockenklang, East, ACG/East, and some EMG models.

5. Exactly what came to mind when I read the title.

I believe that EMG has the only active blend on the market.
    The remaining handful of basses with active blends are as a part of the manufacturer's special preamp designs.

A traditional blend is simply two pots ganged together on the same shaft, no active components are involved.

6. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Erm... perhaps I didn't make myself clear; I meant a one-knob blend for two passive pickups, not two separate volumes. The reason I asked is that I've never seen one in 30 years of playing bass. I wondered why that is because I'd quite like a one-knob combined blend and volume in combination with passive pickups (I've seen this on active basses but not passive).

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Are you talking about Stacked knobs?

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Almost all passive blend knobs are really two concentric volume pots stacked together with a single shaft, so turning the shaft turns one of the volume controls down.

Mike

9. Ah, if this is the case, you will need a custom made pot.
    I believe that MEC can do this for you, though it will be expensive.

Triple-ganged, dual-concentric, whatever values you prefer.
    A/C tapers for the blend, either A, or more preferably B taper for the volume.

10. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    Your question seemed clear, but now we're all confused... If you're talking about 1 blend knob isnstead of 2 volumes (like in your original post and the first part of the second) then like others said the majority of blend knobs are actually passive and the single knob is actually made of 2 parts (like 2 volume pots) in top of each other, actioned simultaneaously by a single shaft (but one is working in reverse.
    But if (like the last part of your second post implies) you're talking about a single knob doing both pickup blending AND general volume, then this type of knob is quite rare. I only know of MEC which can make it by custom order (it's a concentric knob) for about 70 euros and it is also passive.

Edit: lin6man beat me on this

For general information, other brands make active blends, I know at least Noll (a German company making great bass preamps) makes a buffered preamp which acts either as a piezo/magnetic blend, or mag/mag or piezo/piezo active blend (http://www.noll-electronic.de/sites_e/mixamp.html). It's quite big though.

11. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
  12. ...sigh....

yes I know what your talking about. And yes, I have had a bass that incorporated it.

It was a Warwick Corvette STD Passive and had a Volume, a Blend with center detent, and a Tone.

:D

13. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    ....Sorry to cause confusion!

-but thanks for the input everyone. :)Yes, I now understand about a basic blend of two pickups being passive from what everyone has said.

Anyway, I wondered (first of all) why Jazz basses (for instance) feature two volumes instead of one blend pot and why you see plenty of active basses with blend pots but not passive.

My second thought (which caused the confusion) was whether I could have a stacked blend and volume (I should have made that clearer!).

Anyway, now I know a 'passive' blend exists (thank you, Jimill and MK1) it seems logical that a stacked blend and volume is also possible without the use of a battery.

Phew...:)

14. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Good luck finding a triple-ganged pot for that.

15. MEC...

16. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    thanks guys I'll look up the MEC....

17. I fully thought you were talking about a blend between passive and active modes rather than a switch.

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
  19. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Aye, I talk in riddles, my son.

20. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    I was wrong about the MEC stacked blend/volume pot being custom order and expensive... I actually bought an MEC pot which does (you won't believe me) blend + volume + DPDT swhich! I can tell its a really taaaaalllll pot, but nifty!
    It's not that expensive, I got it on eBay for 33 euros at Banzai Music, the ref of the pot is MEC M 89552.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020