1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

passive crossover for a beyma 10MW Nd

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tiki613, Mar 25, 2013.

1. tiki613

tiki613

Mar 14, 2007
    binche Belgium
  2. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    If I read your post correctly I wouldn't see the need for a crossover on a 'single' speaker unless it was a sub backing up your smaller 'main' cab (the Beyma 10mw 'nd' extends out towards 5 khz which is great for a single speaker) and even then I'd go the 'active' bi-amped route instead of using passive components -it would seem that active bi-amping offers a few advantages -basically better damping factor (speaker control)...Less signal loss (better efficiency) since the only power drop is across the speaker (instead of a combination of speaker, coil, capacitors etc.)...Parameters are instantly adjustable on an active crossover...much steeper crossover slopes (24 db per octave vs. the typical 12 db per octave). Of course proper passive crossover engineering will offer great results if done well however I feel when you're using hundreds or thousands of watts you're better off going the active (or at least 'powered sub') route -of course this is just one mans opinion....Anyway good luck and congratulations on an awesome speaker

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What are you crossing over?

4. tiki613

tiki613

Mar 14, 2007
    binche Belgium
    put that as a filter?

5. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    I would imagine any filtering would simply be done by the tone controls on the amp. I would imagine (by your photo) that the Beyma speaker used in a cabinet of those dimensions would work pretty well as far as low frequency reproduction goes, since that particular speaker has extended range mids you'll also have some decent 'bite' to add to the lows. I would say you have an excellent single speaker combo sized rig.