Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive electronics issue/question (on a Warwick Streamer STD)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drumsnbass, Nov 13, 2005.

1. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    Okay, for pretty much most of the last week or so I have owned my new (used) Streamer STD (not Rockbass), I have been playing at verrry low volume thru a small practice amp. Tonite I cranked it up a bit thru the only big amp I have, a Peavey Kb/A 300.

The problem? Best explained this way...

If I hit a (primarily) low note, and let it sustain, after a little time it starts to "fuzz" like the speaker is blown, and then the volume drops by about 1/2. I tried my other bass (ATK300 active) on the same amp with no similar effect.

Leads me to think I have either a bad pot, or resistor, or something. Any suggestions? I can wire your house like a pro electrician, but at electronics I am a numb-skull. BUT, I can solder well! :D

Help anyone?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Not familiar with that bass so it could have active pups even though passive electronics. I had a set of active EMG PJ's out of a streamer once and a harness but I can't remember whether it was passive or active - just that the pots were kind of square. Don't know if your is stock either. At any rate, if it has a battery in it with passive electronics the pups are likely active. So a battery check would be in order. No battery then pups are passive and not an issue.

Assuming it's all passive and you plugged it into the same input on the amp using the same cord then sounds like the issue is probably in the bass. If you went through a passive input on the amp for one and active on the other then there could ba an issue with the passive circuit in the amp. You could run the bass into the active input and to check that aspect out. I would keep the volume down at any rate. The way active and passive inputs are labeled on an amp can be deceiving depending on the amp.

If you have another cord I would also rule the cord out for the passive bass even though it works fine for active.

When you say fuzz I assume it's not string buzz? If you get the buzz unplugged, I would have a look at the setup.

I have never had an experience like what you're describing that I can recall with a passive bass as a result of electronics but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

3. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    used the same cord in the same jack slot w/both basses. bass itself has no battery, 2 p/u's w/2 volume & one tone knob. i am not sure if the p/u's are active or passive, but my guess is passive.

the fuzz sound is almost like a blown speaker buzz, but it is definitely not the vibes of another string. the dropoff in volume is in and of itself interesting.

frankly, at this time I am not all that worried as if it repeats & becomes a hassle, i will probably swap everything out & go active.

BUT, i do have a question regarding passive and active p/u's, namely what is the difference (what makes them different)?

Thanks!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Functionally active pups are lo-impedance and have a preamp built into them and require a battery to get any useable volume. No battery, no sound. Typically they're also dead quiet and all of them I recall are epoxy sealed - no removeable covers. Pretty much understood they're essential for long cable runs. In general they tend to be more clean, hi-fi in tone.

Passives are basically a winding around magnets and require no battery. True singles will typically exhibit 60 cycle hum. Tone varies dramatically but as a gross generalitly they will have more raw/old school tone depending. Barts are usually in between. More hi-fi sounding yet they're passive pups and tend to be lower output compared to other passives so are often paired with preamps. That way you can wire active boost/cut (depending on the pre) and limited passive operation as well.

Guess I should add that there are active and passive harness as well. Active being a preamp containing boot/cut and passive being just the pots without a preamp which are cut only. Either can be used with eitheir active or passive pickups.

I think there's more info under FAQ and there's some in the Bass Tone Glossary. It would be good to check out FAQ cause it answers questions like this because it's been answered countless times before. Search is a good tool to use before posting as well. Even if you don't get your answer it's almost impossible not to learn something else of interest in the process. Best of all, you don't have to wait for your answer - which may never come.