Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OblivionBass, Sep 25, 2005.

1. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Be prepared, noobiest question ever:

My squire pbass has two knobs, how can i upgrade the electronics so i get three knobs and more control over tone? (and then add my input on the side of my bass instead of the third hole on my pickguard.)

Also, whats the wire connecting from my volume pot going into a small hole underneath my bridge do?

Last thing: For a passive bass, are the electronics only the pots and the pickups (and the wires connecting them)

Sorry for all the beginner questions, but I've never started working on the insides of my bass until last week

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    that's your ground connection to your bridge.

pretty much

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you want to control it at the bass, you pretty well have to go active. Passive basses can only cut. Too much cutting and you will seriously decrease the output.

Note that going active will completely change your sound. IMHO it will no longer sound like a P bass.

I control the tone at the amp. Many amps have way more control than an onboard preamp (simple problem of space). You could also get an EQ pedal to control the tone.

4. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    whats the purpose of the ground connection

oh, and whats the purpose of changing pots... (i think mine are 500k, what could i do to make them better)

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    First out of the gate. Don't spend a dine on a Squire until you've had it checked out and setup by a pro luthier. Some of those buggers are just plain rubber necked and aren't worth a crap... If you have a good one - and many are*. The do a pickup swap, string change, intonation visit with the luthier mentioned above and if you're a metaller/rock 'n' roller you might want to talk to the luthier about changing to a more aggressive sounding bridge. A BaddAss II for instance. Worked for Geddy after all...

* I had an 80's Squire Strat that is truly killer. An amazing playing and sounding little monster from Korea. At the time I also had a MIA Deluxe Strat, the one with Lace sensors and LSR roller bridge and a perfect setup... I used 'em both and while they sounded different, they basically played the same. $200 retail Korean vs $1200 retail American. You just have to pick through them to find the best in the basket...

6. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    hahaha i couldnt help but say i want the complete opposite

I have a squier p bass special with a bridge pickup (so it has 3 knobs and a side input). I wana get my tone pot taken off and replaced with an input, don't ask why. Don't think its gonna happen though

Sorry for wasting you time

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Grounding reduces hum, makes the bass quieter.

In the Pickups FAQ is a link which has all the lowdown on grounding:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191

Take a look at this thread, or do a search here in this forum.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?