Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive EMG's...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassMan257, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Allright, ive finally come to find out what EMG picup lines are passive, and i just wanted to know if anyone has tried out the selects and the HZ's...

I was looking to do a P/J version, but now i dont know if i want a humbucker instead (im just so confused:crying: )

thanks for your help

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I actually really like the sound of the EMG-Hz's that I've tried.

But I still say real EMGs are better. Definately an acquired taste though.

Graeme

3. i mean, i just like the idea of a passive... ive looked it all over, and kinda decided i dont care about the abilites of actives... it just doesnt really apply to what I do...

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That's cool. In that case, the Hzs are a great sounding pickup. Some describe them as bland sounding, but whatever the sound is, I like it.

What kinda stuff are you playing?

Graeme

5. IMO, for a P/J setup I would probably choose Seymour Duncan, Bartolini, or any of a number of other brands before I would use passive EMGs.

My Dean Rhapsody came with HZs, and I replaced the neck pickup with a Bartolini CX. The Bartolini was a big improvement.... warmer, more round-sounding, and clearer on the top.

6. My Fretless Cargill and my 72 Jazz Maple fingerboard both have Active EMGs, my Greg Bennett short scale Rosewood fingerboard P bass has EMG Select pickups. They all sound great. That said, (and it depends what sound you are really after) I agree with 12bass. I would recomend Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pound P-Bass Pickup. I've tried som Passive Bartolinis years ago and while they were OK, they didnt give me goose pimples.
    If you really aint sure, and you want passive P bass pickups then I dont think you can go too far wrong with the Seymours.

What bass is it going in?
    what preamp/amp/cabs?
    what other players sounds do you like?
    what is your string preference etc?.... lots of questions to answer.

Bottom line regarding your original question about the SELECT pickups, I find they give me a full sound with consistent tonal qualities accross the neck. They dont have the output of SD Quarter Pounders but still have a nice punchy attack. again depending upon your settings and style.

7. I have both the active and passive EMG's in one of my basses. I prefer the active, just 'cause I slap a lot and they get a little more aggression I think. The passive ones also sound good slapped, but they really shine on double stop and chordal work IMO. I like them both, but I do prefer the active EMG's for sure.

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I have Selects on my '66 jazz that I installed in '86.
    I will never remove them.
    They just have this punch and growl.
    I just put a set of Selects on my Precision.
    I really do like them.
    People give me the strangest looks when I point out my Selects.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have Selects in one bass, SD Quarter Pounder in another.

They are very different sounds. The Selects have a round sound, not a lot of volume, and great articulation. The SD is round, deep, loud, and less note definition. The Select is perfect for playing with a guitarist/singer, the SD is perfect for playing in a band. Neither one would do very well in the other's milieu.

10. Nicely put lpdeluxe.

Although I do regularly use the Selects with the band and it works quite well running into my SVP Pro. I do run the Drive higher I must admit. Again it really comes down to what gear you run them into. But overall I agree with lpdeluxe.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have a Dean Edge 5 fretless with EMG-HZ pickups in it, and that bass sounded wonderful. I prefer the more laid back tone of the passive "HZ" models to the more aggressive active EMGs. Never tried Selects.

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Do they even make selects anymore? I've not seen them on the EMG site.

Graeme

13. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Tonawanda, NY
    Yes they still make selects. I bought a set a few weeks ago.

Stewart MacDonald has them for P, J, P/J, and Humbucker.

Elderly has the J for $11 cheaper though.

Definetly improved the sound on my Squire 5. But then again anything would.