Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive Fretless 5 with Jazz Bass "Feel"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Dec 20, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If Fender made a fretless 5-string Jazz bass, I'd probably want to get one, but they don't. So what's the closest thing available for someone who loves the feel of the Jazz neck and fretboard? Ideally, I'd like to stick with a 34" scale, but with a good solid B-string (I know some people will claim that's impossible, by Zon and Sadowsky seem to manage it, so it's got to be possible.)

Suggestions?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    What price range?

3. A few possible options come to mind straightaway, I'm sure there will be many others:

- find a 5-string fretless Jazz copy of some description
    - get a 5-string Jazz (or copy) and defret it
    - build one with Warmoth parts
    - have one built for you

4. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    For now, price range should be considered "open" -- I'd like to know what the options are before ruling something out on price.

Regarding the other suggestions, I'd really prefer not to defret a fretted bass (my gut just tells me that's not the way to go, Jaco notwithstanding). As for "find a 5-string fretless Jazz copy of some description," well yes, that's what I'm trying to do in this thread. Get some suggestions as to a very good fretless Jazz copy of some description.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    A Low End Jazz or a Sadowsky probably top the list. The Lakland JO5 is very nice, but it has a 35" scale.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you can find one, look for a USA Hamer Cruise bass V. A local shop Classic Axe www.classicaxe.com used to have one in their shop. Fantastic bass!!!! Call him it may not be listed on the web site. It was an olympic white with the swamp ash grain showing through with ebony fingerboard and fretlines, and a 2Tek Bridge. It hung in the shop for years I think it was still there a couple years ago when I was there last. TREMENDOUS bass. Best Cruise I've ever played and that's saying a lot. Look on the used market also.