Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

passive fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bos_mindwarp, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I liked the Jaco Fender replica, but I didn't like the price. Is there a decent instrument of similar sonic attributes to be bought/made/frankensteined elsewhere? I'd like that vintage sound, instead of the more refined, but too clinical active pup sound.

What about Standard Fretless Jazz Bass? Anobody have any expirience with those and if I would need to upgrade some parts of it?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wait about a week and i'll have a review posted! It's on it's way!
    I'm not sure where it is. The store tried tracking it, but the site wasen't working...

I'll have a review posted soon though man!

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm so GASing a fretless Fender jazz. But I just spent more money than I have on a 210Avatarcab:bawl:

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Passive Carvin, Fender Jazz, Jaco Sig (the non-relic one)...But I presume you want the epoxied board eh?

5. well Im not sure... if its epoxy that makes it sound like it does, then yeah I want it epoxied :D

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There's no need to epoxy it. You can get a great sound stock. Round wound strings, low action and you're all set.

Try to track down a MIJ fretless jazz. They're great, well made basses with great sound at a reasonable price.

7. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Those Avatar cabs are awesome for themoney though, aren't they? Which one did you get? I have a 210 Pro with the Kappa speakers.

8. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I rather like my new to me Modulus Genesis Jazz fretless. It has passive Villex Pups They are a $250 upgrade, but well worth it if you like that passive sound. I bought mine used off of Ebay for $800! To build one like it new would run about $1925 today (recently quoted). The mwah is mui beno!

9. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Fender Jazz Fretless Standard is a great way to go unless you're handy then you could build your own from parts :bassist:

If the future is now......
    What was yesterday

10. What about the carvin bass kit? Im pretty sure I could build that one with help of a friend whos been playing DB and fiddling with stuff for 30 years or so, and knows more about wood and finish then I do.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BK4&CID=BKT

I was thinking of alder body and 2xsingle coil but I have no clue how good these basses are.

I am not looking for something that costs 2000$ since Im total newbie when it comes to fretless, but I dont mind finding a decent enough instrument that would keep me happy for a couple of years at least.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I built my fretless from a Carvin kit. I just went with the standard alder body. I put in a pair of Bartolinis I had lying around instead of the stock single coil pickups it came with (more lower mids, less aggressive top end.) It's good quality stuff, Carvin uses good wood and hardware.

It was pretty easy to put together. Really the hardest part was just waiting for the coats of finish to dry. ;) Basically, I didn't do a really fancy finish, just a few light coats of polyurethane on the neck and body (masking off the fingerboard) and then light sanded it to a satiny finish. Not a thick finish at all, and it turned out nicely (except for the minor flaw here and there, but that doesn't concern me, I'm no pro builder and I was just building it for myself.) At first I thought about doing the fingerboard as well, but with the strings I use on it right now (D'Addario nickel rounds), I just get a few scuff marks on the board, nothing major.

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have an excellently defretted danelectro hodad i'm selling for $300 if you're interested. It feels great, sounds great, is really versatile, has lots of retro tone, punch, thump - and - ya can't find them anywhere anymore. I had a fretted one also that sold immediately to guy who already owned one and wanted another. End of sales pitch. :)

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I've got one of these, and it's great. I paid 400 bucks for it new back in 95 or so. The pickups aren't great, but after a set of 63 Jazz Fralins, it's a great thing.

I'd avoid using rounds on the rosewood though, unless you covet the idea of having someone sand down the fingerboard every once in a while...

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I know they are. I got the Neo. I'm just sad that I have no more money.

16. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    jazz basses suck, trust me. They have no charecteristic sound, trust me.

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    ^^^don't trust ^^^

One of the jazzes I posted was a MIJ I think the price was decent.

18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think jazz basses are one of the most versatile basses available today IMO. first of all, you can spend as little as 300$ all the way to 5 thousand dollars on one. the tonal spectrum is huge. ANd they are right nice looking.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hear hear! They are fantastic.

Also, look for a used HAMER USA Cruise fretless, they are exactly what you're looking for. Tough to find though.

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i've heard that they have a jazzy sound, trust me.