Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

passive G&L bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toneman, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I was at a jam last nite and one of the bass players had a G&L 1000 passive bass that he said was available in 5 string, well I went to the G&L webpage and its not listed. Does anyone have any info on this bass? If there's someone out there with this bass in a 5 string I'm intrested in a possible purchase.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The L-1000 is not made any more and there was never a 5-string version. An L-2000 has the same pickup in the same place (I believe) with the addition of a bridge pickup (same type) and a preamp (but still has passive mode). And there is a 5-string version of the L-2000 called the L-2500.

G&L did make an L-5000 for a short time (they are fairly rare) but it had a 5-string P-like pickup and would be directly comparable to a four string SB-1.

The L-1500/L-1505 is a one-pickup G&L but it is active and the pickup is in the "Stingray sweetspot" - closer to the bridge than the L-1000 which has its pickup in the "Precision sweetspot".

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Craig thanks a lot for the info. I'm a Leo aholic who plays five string and doen't prefer active although I used a MM stingray in the 80's. I'm using a standard J5 and was hoping there was a G&L 1000 in a 5. thanks again you were helpful..Tony