1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

passive G&L bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toneman, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I was at a jam last nite and one of the bass players had a G&L 1000 passive bass that he said was available in 5 string, well I went to the G&L webpage and its not listed. Does anyone have any info on this bass? If there's someone out there with this bass in a 5 string I'm intrested in a possible purchase.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The L-1000 is not made any more and there was never a 5-string version. An L-2000 has the same pickup in the same place (I believe) with the addition of a bridge pickup (same type) and a preamp (but still has passive mode). And there is a 5-string version of the L-2000 called the L-2500.

G&L did make an L-5000 for a short time (they are fairly rare) but it had a 5-string P-like pickup and would be directly comparable to a four string SB-1.

The L-1500/L-1505 is a one-pickup G&L but it is active and the pickup is in the "Stingray sweetspot" - closer to the bridge than the L-1000 which has its pickup in the "Precision sweetspot".

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Craig thanks a lot for the info. I'm a Leo aholic who plays five string and doen't prefer active although I used a MM stingray in the 80's. I'm using a standard J5 and was hoping there was a G&L 1000 in a 5. thanks again you were helpful..Tony