1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive instrument level splitter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lexington125, Feb 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    I could spend a long time searching around on all of the websites of companies like Radial, Palmer, Whirlwind, etc., but I’m hoping someone can help with a shortcut right to the answer.

I want to take the output of a passive bass (’64 P) and send the output to two old tube amp heads. I know that some amps have the multiple inputs wired in parallel, so you could plug into one and take a feed out of the 2nd input. But I’d like this to be a bulletproof (and idiot proof) solution so it will work with amps that have a single input jack, amps that are not wired in parallel, or any unforeseen problems.

The ultimate goal would be a simple box with a single input, and two outputs. I’m no EE, so I don’t know if there is any significant signal loss in this type of passive splitting? Do I need make-up gain? Should the I/O be transformer isolated to avoid any chance of problems between the two heads? This could end up being part of my main gig rig, so I’d rather do it correct the first time. (even if that means more $$$ than a simple splitter) What’s the *right* way to do this?

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well the best one and one I use for my twin tube amp rig is the Lehle Dual but if you don't need the switching I -2 or Both. Then go for the P Split version.
    The thing with all splitter boxes is does it contain a fabulous high impedance audio transformer in the case of the Lehle it most certainly does.
    The Radial will do the isolation anti hum stuff but not as convincingly transparently as the Lehle transformer.
    Another great audio transformer for this is made by Sowter but you just get the raw part and have to build the box but it's a 1 in 3 out which is dead handy if you want a greedy 3 SVT rigs.:)

3. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    Lehle