Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

passive j pickups with active electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sunnking, Jul 13, 2001.

1. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    i have Hamer Cruise basses with the 2 tek bridges. they are loaded with Seymour Duncan Sjb-1 pickups. these are a fairly ( not hot rodded ) straight jazz replacement. i am thinking active electronic might be nice to add some more versitility. im not unhappy with the sounds that i have but of course more tone tweaking could be usefull. so..

has anyone dealt with passive p/u's with active electronics? if so what have been the experiences? suggestions? general remarks?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, anyone who plays a Carvin with actives, or uses a J-Retro, or plays a Music Man, or a host of other active basses has dealt with this. These all use passive pups and an on-board preamp. This includes most (if not all) active Fenders. It's a very common setup. Seems to work well for a lot of folks.

There's an article on the BGRA about actives you could check out.

www.bgra.com

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The vast majority of "active" basses use the passive pickup with a preamp setup.

4. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    any comments on aftermarket active electronics that anyone has dealt with?
    pro's/cons?
    likes/dislikes?

5. EMG onboard preamps are the most versatile; I'm looking into a setup like yours without a pan knob, and EMG make the only concentric setup without a pan knob (I think). This may not concern you cause you should have one for your bass, so look into stuff like bartolini as well as EMG.

6. You could also think 'bout getting an outboard preamp. Sadowsky has a good one, Aguilar and Raven Labs should be mentioned too.
    Seymour Duncan has onboard preamps too, STC-2 and STC-3...

Bert

7. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    davy0 - i dont have a pan knob. vol,vol,tone. thats it.

treb - i found the seymours listed before i started this post but i was hoping someone would actually be using them so i could get some input ( sorry for the pun ) i have thought about outboards too. has anyone had any experience with them? but i do hate having to take extra gear along.

8. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I am using a J-Retro onboard preamp in a MIM Fender Jazz bass with Seymour Duncan "Hot Stacks". The tone variations are huge and the output is awesome. The stacks also make it very quiet. I have 4 other basses and after this upgrade I am planning on selling them all!!

Black Rose Customs
    Seymour Duncan Dealer

9. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    jwymore was this j-retro with a standard j setup of v -v - t ? was it a no mod ( other than the soldering ) drop in preamp? how much was it? where did you get it?

10. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Sunnking,

It is a direct drop in (including battery) for a standard Fender Jazz bass cavity. It has stacked knobs that control: Volume, PUP blend, Bass, treble, mids and has a mid frequency sweep.

It is available in the U.S. through Bass Northwest or Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company.

Here is a link: http://www.j-retro.co.uk/

11. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    i have seen units like that before and have heard good things about them. i cant not use them, my controls are back mounted.

any others?

12. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    There is a unit called a U-Retro (Universal) that has no mounting plate and the controls are on ribbon cables. This unit would work on the rear routed bass.

13. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    ill check it out, same company?

14. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yep!

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    man, i want to get one of those j-retros.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    great stuff man. my jazz roars now!! and for me most important thing is the activ passive switch!