Passive J-Vs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know Valenti is an option, but are there any companies besides Fender and Skyline that make passive five string Jazzes for under $2,000 (preferably well under $2,000?)

2. CountBassy

CountBassy

Jan 20, 2001
    New Castle, DE
    How about an SX passive 5 string jazz for under $200?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys, but I am not looking for beginner basses. I was curious about basses in the $1,000-$2,000 range. In particular, I would like a passive jazz with Seventies pickup spacing, a light swamp ash body with blocks and binding. I would like a plain maple fingerboard with 19mm spacing at the bridge also. I think Nino is the best option if i were to do this.

4. Warmoth, maybe?

5. Doesn't Yamaha make a passive 5'er? I thought I saw one.

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I had Chris Stambuagh build me a bass very much like this that played and sounded great and was within your budget.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks!:)

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Youtube clips of the Bacchus Ash 5:

10. Warmoth might be a good option . . . just out of curiosity why no Fenders or Skyline? I've been using a fender mia jazz V for a few years. it's a great bass. . .
    fwiw I was in a GC a week ago and they had new mia jazz v's for 799. i almost bought another. . .

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They are $799 here too. I already have one and love it! I would like a passive Jazz V with an ash body and the Seventies pickup position. Neither Fender or Skyline offer such a bass.

13. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
  14. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Maybe a Nordy? Probably have to be used to fit your budget, but maybe not if you kept it no frills.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Bacchus basses are hot looking but every one where I have seen the weight listed, it was between 10 and 14 :eek: pounds.

The only thing wrong with the Valenti plan is he currently can't do blocks or binding. I don't know, maybe you could talk him into assembling a Warmoth for you.

16. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  17. IME Bacchus basses are a bit on the heavy side (I own two 4-strings, one is a bit under 9 pounds, the other about 10 pounds), but they are very high-end in construction and quality, and they sound killer.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021