1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

passive J, what pot configuration do you like?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 29, 2009.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Just curious on the general concensus. V-V-T or V-V-T-T?

I have one setup each, to me it seems that V-V-T is not only easier to deal with ,but it also produces more tonal enhancement...say comparing the total high roll-off of 1 tone pot 1/2-way; compared to the total high roll-off of 2 tone pots 1/2 way (meaning both tone pots rolled off 1/2 way).

all things being equal, 250K pots, linear taper. Although the 2-tone setup uses two .473mF caps, the 1-tone setup uses a single .5mF cap.

Why such a dramatic difference? or am I just tone-deaf?

2. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I prefer V-V-T. I don't need an additional tone control.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I really like V-B-T

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It is impossible to isolate pots from each other in a passive circuit. Current flows equally both ways.
    As a consequence a double tone pot is useless in a passive circuit unless you have switches to select pickups. Both tone pots will act on both pickups.
    I too prefer v-b-t.

5. It is possible to a certain extent by using mixing resistors, but that makes the whole setup a lot more sensitive to external loading and cable capacitance than it already is...

Anyways, I'll "third" v-b-t

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If we are talking about J's with vintage style, single coil pickups - I prefer the 62 RI style stacked pot approach. Yes it's slightly darker than the V-V-T but - those bassses can usually stand a little darkening.

I have yet to hear a passive VBT that works as well as an active blend. So I keep an active J, passive in VVT and passive stacked VT, VT in my stable.

My VVT bass has 5 % overwound on Alnico magnets from Vintage Vibe abd that setup works really well as the pickups are a shade dark to begin with - not muddy at all, just not 'zingy' bright. That one is an Ash body & maple neck so it can stand a little taming. Being a 75 RI it would just not be right to drop the stacked controls in though ...

7. Most active basses use a passive blend and not an active blend (The only one I can think of that does is the audere)

8. pandathe3

pandathe3

Mar 3, 2009
    Hmmmm, I like V-B-T.

But, the Master volume is a push/pull pot which switches between series and parallel. And there is a switch next too the tone pot that scoops mids out. The call it a 'Slap Switch' and squire use them on their deluxe 5-strings.

9. I used MV-V-V for many years - no tone controls at all!!

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My current bass has Volume/Blend. It's eventually going to get a preamp (probably an Aggie OBP-2) but when I was assembling the bass, I was lazy and decided to do it passive for now. LOL.

11. That's an odd choice... why not go V-B? Same thing really and one knob less (third could be replaced by a series/parallel switch)

12. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    +[insert high number]

13. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    +1000

I've got this configuration with some Dimarzio model J's. Yeah, baby! :bassist: