passive jazz and upright -> MB800 -> 15/6/1—whaaaat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Anyone else who plays electric a lot with a fEARful have this kind of eye-opening moment?

I just played a Jazz Jam here in Denton. Brought my passive CS '60 relic duotone Jazz and old Austrian upright with a Gage Realist piezo pickup. Didn't get to use the Jazz, but the upright, with no additional pre-amp just killed. The whole quintet noticed the sound.
    The big difference was I didn't use my usual 210. Instead it was my fEARful 15/6/1.
    I guess this is not so surprising.

2. Why yes, I did know greenboy's cabs were good for upright.

3. I am a bit surprised. I don't own a fearful but IME with upright - the biggest problem I generally find is in controlling the sub 60/80hz frequencies.... particularly with a Gage Realist. One of the big selling points for the fEARful is its excellent low end extension.

Were you dialling down the bass EQ?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I set MB800 EQ pretty neutral, with a little high mid and low mid bump, and counter intuitively, the contour control rolled on about 15%.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI

Ha ha...well yes, I have noticed you've mentioned that a few times—as have others.

I guess what really surprised me was that it was pretty much effortless to get a great sound, WITHOUT my usual Sansamp Paradriver DI standing in as a pre for the high impedance Gage piezo.

I actually find dialing in my passive Jazzes a little harder.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021