1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

passive jazz bass pot & cap question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pumatheman, Nov 4, 2010.

1. sorry I don't know electronics principles but I'm very fascinated by little modifications on the simple & wonderfull bass as the jazz bass :hyper:

I''ve a standard V/V/T configuration on my MIM with fender CS'60 PUs.

on the tone pot: I've noticed that changing the pot with a 500k I'll have more highs on the sound with all the pots opened.

my question is, having this, If I sobstitute the 0.05 cap with an orange drop 0.1 cap I'l have more cutting frequencies through tone pot [500k] action?

could this makes me say I have a (little) wider range of action for the tone control on a (little) richer signal?

2. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Changing the tone pot to a higher resistance value won't make much of a difference in timbre. Swapping out your volume pots will make a noticeable difference, though. Here's a little project I did a few months ago with sound clips of the swap in my J:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671456&highlight=potentiometer+shootout

No cap comparison, though. Speaking of the cap, a larger-valued capacitor will have a lower cutoff frequency, so a larger portion of the frequency spectrum will be affected. So, to answer your last question (if you were to replace the volume pot(s) instead of the tone,) yes you will have a broader range of control with the tone pot over a signal that has more high frequency content (when volume pots are wide open.)

3. great project, very very useful and clear, my compliment GREAT JOB!

thanks for your reply! I really like the harmonic rich tone of the 500k pot vols and 250k pot tone...I think I'll go for this plus 0,1 cap orange drop in order to get a wider freq range on my sound