Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive or active Jazz Bass - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I am planning on building a Jazz Bass, and am debating going active or staying passive. What are the pros and cons of both?

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I am going through a similar decision process. I like the option of at least a treble/bass eq, but when I think of all the bassplayers I like...most of them use passive jazz basses.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Passive, I guess, is the true J-bass sound. But adding actives, the only potentiall issue I can think of is possible hum.

Swtichable (i.e. a push/pull vol knob) active/passive like on the new KSD ProjoJ's might be the ticket...

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if you go active, definately have a passive/active option available. Don't use all active (EMGs, etc...) if you want a vintage jazz tone.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're looking for something like the "classic" Jazz Bass sound, passive is the way to go. Furthermore, this sound can only be achieved using two single coil pickups.

If you like a more "modern" jazz bass tone (Marcus Miller et al) then you have to do active.

Personally I prefer the "classic" J bass tone, but hey what I like shouldn't matter to you. You have to decide what you want! :)

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    thats a very good idea. You want to make sure it will still work on passive when there is no battery. Some basses dont work, but mine does- but thats a warwick :hyper:

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I second the concept of the active/passive switch for anyone who wants maximal versatility on his bass.

For myself, I'm on the way to a passive JB. But that's a very personal choice.

Cheers,
    JL

8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    why dont you get a j retro? great active sound and it has a passive option via a push/pull switch for going both ways.

9. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

only a 2 way option for pickups in passive mode (bridge/both or neck/both...can't remember which). If it used a passive volume/volume or volume/blend, it would be perfect.

10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    dont use an active pickup. kinda boring if your battery drains dead middle of a gig :meh: if you go for active, use a passive pickup with active preamp and it's very handy with a active/passive switch also :)