1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive P/J set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beyer160, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    I've got a Squier P-bass "Special" with P/J pickups I use as my backup / beater. It actually feels good and plays nice (after a neck shim and some other tweaking), but the pickups are kinda grainy and flat sounding. Is there anything out there around $100 worth getting? I've had good luck with GFS pickups on guitars, but I've never heard anything about their bass pickups. I'm concerned that buying separate, unmatched pickups won't blend well.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Oh, and the search function won't work with "P/J"- I already tried, sorry.

2. The DiMarzio Model P + Model J set is pretty good. Quite a dark yet aggressive sounding pickup set. I've got them in a beater bass, def. worth the money and were a lot better than the stock pickups that were there (aria)

3. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    I'm not expecting Fralin quality or anything, just something nicer than the stock pickups- I was hoping someone had tried GFS or Artec. It's still a beater, after all.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a duncan vintage p with a dimarzio ultra jazz bridge will sound great, not hum, and set you back maybe $60 each.

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Check the measurement of the current J pickup before you buy anything. You may have to route the pickup cavity for the new pickup to fit. I just did a project with a Squier PJ body that had to be routed. I taped it off and free handed it with a 1/4" bit.

Heck, from twenty feet away you can barely tell! ;) :p