Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive P-J Wiring w/3-Way Switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SamHD, Jun 13, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Hi, Hopefully someone here can point me to a wiring diagram for a P-J configuration with a 3-way selector switch.

This if for a a used Fender Jazz Special, Japan, which has been modified, and I don't think the wiring is correct.

From what I understand, the 3-way switch is suposed to allow selection from just the P pickup, J pickup only, or both at the same time.

Currently, if I move the switch to the left, it's on the P pickup, however, the middle and left settings seem to sound exacltly the same, which seems to be the J only.

I found this diagram at seymore, but it does not include the switch I'm referring to.

P-J Wiring without the 3-Way Switch

Thanks for your help. :bassist:

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    This was provided to me from the folks at Fender. Send me a PM if you want the full PDF (you can then blow it up). This is for my JP90, but it's the same setup. Let me know if it works! :meh: That wiring diagram that you showed should work tho...

Attached Files:

• jp90.jpg
      jp90.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That will work. Just take the hot leads from the volume pots and run one to each side of a SPDT LP-type switch. Then run a single hot lead from the switch center position to the output jack. That's exactly the same as the factory wiring on my BCR. Enjoy!

4. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Very cool. Thanks to both of you for the help!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you use a Les Paul type switch, keep in mind that the switch doesn't connect the pickup that you are selecting, it disconnects the one you don't want...

6. string4madness

string4madness

Nov 30, 2008
    Indonesia
    Guys... is there any way to make the tone only control the J ?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Look on Fender's site for a schematic of the Jazz '62 RI Jazz Bass. The stack-knob version uses a resistor to prevent loading of one tone control circuit by the other...that's essentially what you're after.

8. string4madness

string4madness

Nov 30, 2008
    Indonesia
    thanks bro..

i've done an experiment on P/J wiring, I uses 1 master tone, 1 master volume, and a 3-way toggle switch.
    I connect the J output after tone (J -> tone -> 3way sw), and th P straight to 3way sw. So, the tone only controls the J, and the master Volume works as usual,
    so when I select the P the tone knob doesnt effect at all,
    when I select P+J the tone only effected the J,
    and when I select the J it effected it (of course it is..:))

it works, BUT... there is a "huge" problem ... the output volume (or is it gain?? don't know, newbie :)) of my bass is "HIGHLY REDUCED"...

Questions:
    -should I replace the pots with higher resistance?
    -what does the function the Capacitor on tone pot? High pass or low pass?

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What values are you using now? 250Kohms, 500Kohms???

The typical passive tone control is a low pass filter as it shunts high frequencies to ground.

10. string4madness

string4madness

Nov 30, 2008
    Indonesia
    I uses 250kOhms

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are you sure that the pickups are phased properly? If it's easy enough to do, try reversing the connections on just one of the pickups.

I once replaced the P pup on a MIA Hot Rodded P with a DiMarzio Will Power Middle. When the balance control was in the middle, it sounded awful (thin and weak). I reversed the leads on the P pup and solved the problem.

12. string4madness

string4madness

Nov 30, 2008
    Indonesia
    OK.. I'll try it out... thanks.

13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    so i plan on doing this, i searched to find this thread.
    all the 3 way switches i find have 4 leads.
    http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...acement Parts-_-Original 3 Way Switch-_-F2041

the diagram provided only has 3.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19257&d=1118711199

i want to have a switch that will do only p pickup, only j pickup, or blend both. i still want tone control.

anyone have somethng helpful?
    some clearer diagrams, like the ones from seymour duncan would be great.

14. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    anyone have some input??

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  16. JMaris

JMaris

Mar 24, 2009
    Andrews, Tx
    In one of the above posts it a guy mentioned wanting to have the tone only control the J pickup and not the P also... Is there some benefit of having it that way versus having tone control both or a seperate tone for each pickup?

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It would allow the P pup by itself to be a bit brighter when used solo. When both pickups are on, the tone control is in parallel with both pickups so it affects the P whether one likes it or not.

I'm not sure how much benefit it is on a bass. I like doing that on guitars though as the bridge pickup is raunchier without a tone control and when I actually use one, it's on the neck pickup anyway.

On a guitar with a tone control only on the neck pickup, one can do a psuedo Wah effect by rolling off the tone control and then flipping back and forth between pickups. That's what's done at the beginning of Voodoo Chile...

18. string4madness

string4madness

Nov 30, 2008
    Indonesia
    My bass pup configuration is P-J,
    but most of the time, I use only the P pup, with the tone all the way up (no high cutting)...

before, I 've tried the P pup going directly to the output jack....dude, the gain is highly improved when it goes directly to the output without passing through any electronics....

I'm wondering if I could mix that 100% P sound with the J with some high cut (with the tone knob) without messing the P pup's sound....

that was the idea....

NOW I'm using P-vol - J-vol - 3 ways PU selector without any tone control....

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Unless you include some way to buffer the output of the P pup from the tone control, the tone control will affect the tone of the P pup since it will be in parallel with it.

In my mind, buffering requires electronics, but I think that Fender used a resistor (or two) in the wiring of the stack knob Jazz to buffer passively.

20. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I replaced my MIM P pup with SD SPB-1 and am now having the same problem with the center position even though I wired it the same.

Are the lead colors reversed on the SPB-1 (black is hot and white is ground)?