1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive P5 with Narrow Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Ryantist, Jul 29, 2017.

1. I am having a hard time finding basses that fit these criteria:
    • 5 string passive P bass (bonus if it's a PJ)
    • nut width close to 1-3/4" or 44mm (Fender is 1-7/8 or 48mm)
    • bridge spacing close to 11/16" or 17.5mm (Fender Am Std is 3/4" or 19mm)
    • neck width is slightly more important to me than the bridge spacing
    Music Man 5s have the most comfortable dimensions for me in terms of neck and string spacing, and I want something that sounds like a passive P (rarely throw in the bridge pickup for a different tone, but not essential). Here are the options I've found so far:
    • Yamaha BB1025X (maybe discontinued? can't find in stock anywhere)
    • Build a Warmoth
    • Convert a Music Man into a passive P bass (P routing would be under the pickguard but a J in the normal bridge position would not fit under the pickguard so I'd have to move it up or figure something else out)
    Any others you know of? Budget would be $700 - $2k ish. Thanks!

2. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    EBMM has said that they plan to release a five string Caprice in 2018. I believe it very well could be everything you're looking for, if you can wait. My four string Caprice is an amazing instrument ... I'll likely grab a five when they get here.

NoNoise and franklindayala like this.
  3. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    You should check Wilkins basses. Pat is working on my passive P5 bass. It's going to have 16.5mm string spacing.

Edit:

Here is Pat Wilkins PJ bass.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Considering I'm both left-handed and have specific tastes in basses that are not commonly available (single humbucker in p position and passive),
    I'd go this route. The SR5 is a comfortable bass with good playability, but the sound isn't exactly what I want. The plus side is the mods would be reversible considering the very large pickguard. Picking up a used SR5 would put you on the lower end of your budget as well.

5. That would be amazing!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

What is your source? The only thing I found on google is rumors on TB from last year. If this is true then I might just wait because I like EBMM that much.

6. This sounds great! So do you mean you are getting one fully custom built?

7. Yeah I haven't ruled this out. I briefly thought about doing my Sterling HS but I can't bring myself to do it! Maybe if I bought one specifically with this as the plan it will be easier.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Considering that you'd be modding it anyway, why not save a few more bucks and find an SBMM Ray35?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterlin...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD
    Sterling Ray35 - Black
    If you could find one used, even better. It would be good to play one in person to see if the neck feels close enough to a US model for you.

9. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    My source is a post on TB as well, but purports to be relaying a question answered by EBMM president Brian Ball on Reddit ...
    Music Man Caprice: True Boutique Quality

All I can say is I hope it's true!

10. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Yes.
    Pat is a great guy and a wonderful Luthier. He has a Pat Wilkins club here in talkbass and lots of youtube videos so you can see all of his work.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Build yourself a 4-2-5 parts bass ... I have been doing that for years ...

mighty Mite 4 string p-bass neck, with a new nut and a 5th tuner, bridge string spacing 2 1/2".
    upload_2017-7-30_8-15-18.jpeg

upload_2017-7-30_8-17-1.jpeg

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    upload_2017-7-30_8-18-47.jpeg

Das Jugghead and Rickter like this.
  13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Talk to Mr. Valenti Welcome to ValentiBasses.com

My P/J 5 has 17 mm spacing center-to-center, 1.75" width at the nut, but is also 33" scale which is a plus in my book. Sports an active preamp w/ passive bypass but I'm sure the harness can be configured to your specs.

Riis

14. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    You need to find a G&L L-5000!
    g & L L5000 - Google Search:

15. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    For $2k I think you can get a Hammersmith or Carvin.

I would want something like this with a few changes ($1000):
    img-Escalon-5E_3033.jpg

16. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Maybe this?

17. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  19. dfoehr

dfoehr

Jan 12, 2006
    PHX
    I don't think the Am Standard P bass is 19mm. I have two of these basses and I think they are 18.5mm.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021