Passive pickup-No knobs.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mojo-Man, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've played a few basses, with passive pickups
    with no knobs.
    Pickups wired to input jack only.
    To my ears, the pickup sound bigger, with more detail?
    Is this due to no interference, true sound of pickup?
    Anyone else dig this setup?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played 'em that way, and my project Ibanez used to be this way, but I decided I needed at LEAST a volume, and I threw in a series/parallel switch while I'm at it. I generally don't play with the tone knob much, so I find the setting I like and put a fixed resistor in it's place.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I ran across a piece a year or so ago stating the more components there are between the pups and the amp the more the signal is degraded. I had a wall of active basses then. Then I made outboard preamps (EMG, Aggie, Barts) out of the onboard preamps so I could A/B the bass with and without the preamps. Most pups improved considerably without the preamp, some didn't, some actually improved with the preamps. So over time I was checking out the concept and my conclusion was, in general, the more components between the pups and the amp the more the signal is degraded.

Doesn't always hold so and they're are definetly sweet sounds to be had otherwise, but with few exceptions, they have a refined or electronic quality about them and strip most if not all of the rawness from the pups. But I don't sing and stand by the amp so I don't need onboard controls anyway. Now I run pup(s) straight to the jack(s).

I like a rawness to tone and straight pipes brings that out best. Plus it's important to me to know what the pups themselves sound like since that's were the signal begins. You wouldn't believe how passive an active EMG LJ5 mounted mid position ran straight to the jack can sound.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've done it before. It all depends on the bass and pickups involved, but in my case the resulting sound was a little too bright and harsh. What pots do in a passive electronic system is load down the signal and reduce the amplitude of the resonant peak of the pickups.
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003