Passive Pickups with Active Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Free Tibet, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    It's usually the other way around, but here we go.

I have a Fender Precision Lyte, with active fender electronics. I also have a set of the EMG Selects for the P/J Style to fit in. If wired up the same as the stock pickups, could I run it in active mode? I believe the EMG Selects are passive only, or does it even make a difference?
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes. Actually, many basses use passive pups and active electronics. It will work swimmingly. BTW, did you just pickup this bass on eBay recently?
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Actually Ive found passive pickups with active pre-amp to be more common than active pickups personally. Im sure experience may vary, but thats what Ive come across most.
  4. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Yes sir I did. A steal for $305 shipped with the case, if you ask me. I wanted a bass to learn slap technique on, and a lot of what I've read about it said it's condusive to that style of playing.
  5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    My BTB is passive pickups w/ active electronics. Some serious tonal variety on there.
  6. Why do you want to change the stock fender pickups out? if they were Bart, SD, Fralin and suchlike, I'd understand. Or are Selects better than fender stocks?
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Active pickups are actually fairly unusual. Most "active" basses have active EQ with passive pickups.

What are you looking for that you think the EMG Selects will give you that the Fender pickups won't?

Personally I would think that the stock Fender pickups in a P-Lyte would be far superior to anything with the "EMG Select" logo on the front. Are you just trying something different to see what happens? That's a good idea and a lot of fun, but keep those Fender pickups close by so you can put them back in.