Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive PJ Decision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sargebaker, Sep 22, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hey guys, around xmas time I think it'll be time to swap out the old Pups on my Aria. I need a set of Passive PJ's and have narrowed it down to either a Dimarzio model J/P set or an EMG-HZ. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. If I'm right they are 2 different beasts, Dimarzios being very vintagy and the EMG-HZ modern (but versatile) E

Either way I predict difficulties as I've checked with my store and they cant even find Model J's in their comp, or a single Ultra Jazz or a P/J set and I don't think they distribute EMG.

I would just like to know what some of you think. Price is also a factor, which ones do you think are cheaper?

Thank you in advance
    Baker

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Dimarzio P/J set is the DP126 set, $100 shipped from bestbassgear.com

If you've narrowed it down to the DM's and EMG's, then I'd suggest the DM's.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I saw that already, I'm trying to compare with the price of EMG's which i cant seem to find, and the problem is I still have to pay the exchange rate, duties and imports or what not so i estimate it would come close to costing about 200ish bux (that might be including installation.) One thing that is apealing about the EMG-HZ is there's no soldering required says their site and for me, that's a good thing, I have to pick my bass up from the luthier tomorrow evening, I'll ask him what he thinks.

Thanks

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, from what you intially said it sounded like you couldn't find the DM's anywhere online. From memory, the EMG's will be more expensive than the DM's, I think they're probably in the $120 range but I can't find a website to back that up. Either way, they'll be close.

What are your criteria for choosing? If both sets were exactly the same cost, and installation cost were equal, then what factors would make you go one way or the other? What sort of sound are you looking for?

FWIW, the EMG's DO require soldering, at least initially. The solderless connectors lets you easily replace EMG's with other EMG's. But those solderless connectors are only solderless at one end, they still have to be soldered to pots / ground inside your cavity.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I picked up my bass from the luthier today. It's like a new bass! Back on topic. I asked about the pickups, both are the same cost to install, 80 bux. (what it cost for my setup today) He also gave me the name of a store that may sell EMG. He explained the soldering thing too.

As for which one I really don't know..... I like both tones, and tones I like really seem to depend on my mood these days. I really love Dave LaRues tone right now, which pups would be closerish to his tone?? I think it may come down to which ones will be easier to order / cheaper....

Thanks
    Baker

6. Ajax

Ajax

Feb 2, 2004
    Michigan
    I have the DP 126 set on my P/J Deluxe. I play in between a pair of 100w Marshalls, and the DM's chew right thru 'em. I'm very happy with their performance in all aspects.

I bought them last year from Musicians Friend for $90. Looks like the price is about the same-

DM DP126 Set

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Thanks, unfortunately Musicians Friend doesn't ship to Canada :( I think I'm currently leaning towards the EMG's but that may very well change by xmas.