Passive preamp hummmmms HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nine-and-three-Quarters, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Nine-and-three-Quarters

Nine-and-three-Quarters Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The Atlanta, GA Area
    Does all passive bass guitars hum and have ground problems due to the lack of a active pre? I wastold that most passive bass guitars hum especially with the pickups rolled to one side. Is this true? If not can someone post a diagram on how to properly wire a passive bass. The knobs are vol, blend, and passive tone control. I get bad hum when I'm far away from the amp and some of the hum goes away if I touch the strings or bridge or cable for that matter. Help me Please! I hate this hummm with a passion.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It would have been helpful if you mentioned what kind of bass you play.

Sounds the instrument is not shielded and you're picking up 60 cycle hum.

Look up "Shielding" in the Setup & Repair forum. There should be a few threads about that.
  3. Nine-and-three-Quarters

Nine-and-three-Quarters Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2006
    The Atlanta, GA Area
    The bass is a used benavente and the bass is shielded with cooper shielding
  4. orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    All single coil pickups hum. It is not an active/passive thing as much as a what kind of pickups. You can shield and often get rid of some of it but single coils inherently hum.

What kind of pups does it have? Have you looked to see if a ground wire has come loose?
  5. Yes all single coil pickups can act as antennas and sometimes a bit of shielding right around the pickup can help. There are other factors that can influence the extent of the problem.

Try a different cord. Try plugging your amp into a different circuit. Try standing in a different place or facing a different direction while playing. A very important thing to note is what other electrical equipment is nearby. Is there flourscent lighting around, light dimmers, video monitors, things with motors like a refrigerator. All of these things are evil....

Shoot, its getting light outside.
  6. You might also want to check your electrical supply for proper grounding. Some older homes with older wiring do not have a proper ground.
    My AC here at home is not grounded. I use a dedicated grounded plug for my amp. Without it, I get hum, even from my active bass.

7. Bass

Nov 10, 2003