1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

passive + preamp same tone as active bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shortscale kid, Oct 14, 2018.

1. shortscale kid

shortscale kid

Dec 9, 2017
    Austria
    wouldnt that pretty much get to the same result? I mean this:

active Bass > boosting bass with onboard EQ > Amp VS
    passive Bass > boosting bass with active EQ of preamp pedal > Amp

or is it the pickups of the active bass that make the difference?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It really depends on everything in the signal path. But, pretty much, yes.

In alnost every case, your bass signal "becomes active" at some point.

If you go from a passive bass to an analog amp you're eventually get to a mixer with a channel strip before you are recorded or sent to the FOH.

shortscale kid likes this.
  3. Most "active" basses have passive pickups, so:

passive pickups > onboard EQ > Amp

4. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Absolutely. Pickups are passive; they don't require external electricity to operate. Even 'Active EMGs" are just passive pickups with integrated preamplifiers. It is common for players to essentially run a preamp (onboard) into a preamp (pedal or outboard preamp) into another preamp (built into the bass amplifier). While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does increase the potential for noise and unwanted distortion. In my opinion, it becomes more and more critical to match impedances and monitor I/O levels with every gain stage that is added to a signal path.