Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

passive pup rec for fretless six-string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Threeviews, May 6, 2005.

1. Hello, Everyone...

Apologies in advance if there's a similar thread out there. I'm having some trouble finding an appropriate pickup. It must be passive and it must be a six. Seems like most of the passive pickups out there stop at five and like most of the six-string pickups are active. In case it affects your recs, I'm planning to string this bass high (ie. like the top--treble--end of a seven-string). Any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

think you've already stated the major issue yourself - you don't have much choice, at least to my knowledge. Obviously Bart's are passive and make extended range and are consistently decent pups. You didn't say soaps or what but I assume you're talking soaps. If you're not making the bass, you are definetly limited - not only by the strings but the existing routing - unless you're open for carving. If you're making it probably a thought to doubling 4 string pups (split P fashion, whatever) would be a wise move. If fact, I have no idea why manufacturers don't design those basses that way so you're not limited by your bass. That totally sucks and I remedied that issue long ago - I got a router.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    using DC resistance as a VERY rough guide, you may be able to use the
    Delano "JC6 HE" set in passive mode. They also have 6-string soaps and
    a MM-6 type

your best bet would be to contact them Re using these pups in passive mode.
    Good luck -- I emailed them over a month ago with the same question on their
    MC4 HE/S' (i.e., using it passively) and haven't got a reply yet :scowl:

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You can have Semour Duncan wind anything you want. Those are very good passive pickups and he can wind them as humbuckers, dual singles, vintage, hot, what ever. That's one way to make sure you get exactly what you want.