1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive Radial JDI with Passive Basses?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lefty_400, Apr 24, 2006.

1. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    I am looking at buying a Radial DI box for live use. At first I was looking at getting the Passive JDI. Not having to jerk around with phantom power is nice.

The thing is, I use only passive basses: P-Bass, Rick 4003, and occasionally a fretless J-Bass. Will the Passive JDI do the trick or do I need to go with the Active J48 for optimum sound?

Thx guys...

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, as long as you don't have a long cable run to the board, the JDI should work. If it were me, though, I would get the J48 or a Countryman Type 85, both active. I'm tone-conscious, but I don't think your audience is going to be able to discern whether you used a passive or active DI. This is also true for recording. The quality of Radial and Countryman active DIs is such that they're not going to kill your tone.

FWIW, I have a J48, two JDIs and three Type 85s for band use.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I use the active J48 as my primary DI at church. You can check that's it's receiving phantom power quickly (pushing one of the buttons lights an LED briefly) if you use it in various locations. If you're not sure that you will always be able to get phantom power, the JDI or Countryman may be your best bet. You really can't go wrong with a Countryman.

I think I remember that there is a mod that can be done to the J48 so it can be powered externally (non-phantom power).

I've been thinking about getting a Radial Bassbone. I'm guessing that the DI would be as good as my J48....??

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    No problems running my passive basses through my passive JDI.

SwitchGear likes this.
  5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I know it's active, but I really like the Countryman. For one project I just ran my Rickenbacker through a Countryman straight into the board and it sounded great.

6. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The JDI will be great wit your passive basses. I highly recomend it, sounds great and build like a tank. I`ve used it in studio too, dead quiet and still sounding great

SwitchGear likes this.
  7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    what is the difference between the two?

is the active just used to boost the signal?

how would the active DI be in use and not phantom powered?

8. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    Thanks guys...I decided to go ahead and order the passive Radial JDI. It seems like it will do the trick for my current needs.