Passive Six String basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Does anybody make a sixer with passive electronics?

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Thanks guys.

I should mention I'd like something more on the high end.
  4. tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    i believe the Ibanez BTB1006e i have has Passive pickups and an Active preamp. (they dont make those anymore. Now they make the neck through version, the BTB1206)

Maybe if high-end means you have a lot of money to spend, why not check out and make yourself a quality custom bass for a very low price (apprx. around $ all depends)
  5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    When I say passive, I mean passive. I want to bypass batteries completely, if possible.

Thanks, though.
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm considering having one made...

7. I think Dave's basses would definitely fit the bill then!
  8. Chris Stambaugh will make it however you want, & make it WELL.:D My 6 is active/passive(w/passive tone), my fretless 4 is fully passive & sounds AWESOME and my fretless 7 will be active w/piezo bridge, dual outputs & of course, active bypass for when all 3 batteries:eyebrow: die...
  9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    unfortunately not many do especially in the higher end but outside of boutique/custom. Carvin has active/passive switch, and I had one installed on my Spector Legend, I think Dingwalls come passive or Active/Passive...
  10. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I had a Carvin made that's all passive w/single coils, and I'm looking into another one.

I'm also thinking about having Benavente make me a couple...

I have done a lot of research into this, so fire away with the questions!
  11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, the Deep Jazz Series .....

Really nice bass, basic model is a bolt on, but you can get a ton of different options ...... IIRC, they start around $4K +/-, had the chance to play one for a little bit, I liked it a lot .... :cool:
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    BB, I'm looking at picking up a nice used Ibanez sixer, gutting it, having Carey Nordstrand wind me some custom pickups and going that route.
  13. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Villex. Just an amazing range of options for a passive pickup.
  14. What about an F bass and just running it passive all the time?
  15. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Pickups are the big concern. For instance MTD won't do a passive setup with the MTD barts they won't even do a passove tone in their pre IIRC. Carvin was easy because they use the same pickups for every bass.

I didn't know Roscoe will do passive. Modulus will do it too, as will Fodera, Nordstrand, Benavente etc.

I bet F bass would too, and I bet it would be nice. Get all that wiring out of the way...
  16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    That's what I thought! I've often wondered why so many basses have these preamps in them coloring the natural pickup sound.

It's a wonder there aren't more passive sixers out there, as the high C is hardly a challenge to amplify compared to a low B...
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  18. SUBass

Oct 21, 2005
    I've got an Ibanez SR496 that I gutted. I actually hardwired the bridge pickup straight to the output jack. It's now the best that bass has ever sounded. Unfortunately the DX6 pickups don't seem to do a good job of grabbing the B and C strings on this particular instrument.

I want a really simple 6 string bass...

A "modified" jazz shape kinda like a Tobias.
    Maple or alder body, Ebony fingerboard.
    Oil finish Perhaps a stain on the wood to darken it up a bit.
    Assymetrical neck, 24 stainless steel frets.
    2 passive soapbars with a blend and a master volume.

That's about it. My main instrument is the SR496. My biggest gripes about it are Balance, neck shape, pickups and bridge.

For balance the thing is just way too neck heavy. I have to hold up the neck with my left hand as I'm playing. Way not cool.

The neck is perhaps a bit too thin and has no contour to it. The assymetrical neck feels soo much better to me.

The pickups I think sound okay...But they don't seem to pickup the B and C strings well...I was contemplating routing out for EMG45 HZ's or something similar.

The bridge is your basic POS bridge that you find on most low end instruments. It's kinda bending up off the body from the tension of the strings.

Given what I want I can't really see any reason why the bass I want should cost more than a few hundred. There's no exotic woods, no fancy finishes, no spiffy electronics. But I can't seem to find it anywhere. So that leaves me with a custom build and the associated costs of such.

If anyone has any ideas on where I'd get something like that then by all means let me know!

19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Plus 1000 on Dave Segal at NYBW. He is as good as it gets in terms of set-up work and attention to detail. And if you're looking for a Fender vibe in an extended range bass there is really no point in talking to anyone but him. He's the king of that vibe!