Passive to Active on Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thick_Strings, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Ok, I have a Fender Mexican Jazz Bass. I have no clue about circuits etc. Until now I have been able to survive on just getting what sounds good.
    I want to give the bass an active circuit, but I have no clue what that entails :confused:

Do i have to get new pickups with the circuit?
    Where can i get a new circuit?
    Do i have to install it myself?
    Are there many different types of active circuit or is there one best suited to the Fender Jazz?

Please explain fully, as I am a real beginner when it comes to the technical stuff.

Thanks

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Do i have to get new pickups with the circuit?
    No.

Where can i get a new circuit?
    Online, at local music stores, on eBay, etc.

Do i have to install it myself?
    Unless you get a qualified tech to do it, (HIGHLY RECOMENDED) it won't jump in the bass by itself. :);)

Are there many different types of active circuit or is there one best suited to the Fender Jazz?
    Their are alot of different pre-amp. The sadowsky outboard pre-amp is my favorite but you would need to do some drilling/routing into the bass. Alot of people like the J-Retro whick is a direct replacement for MOST Jazz basses. EMG make a few nice units, Bartolini, BassLines, etc.

Please explain fully, as I am a real beginner when it comes to the technical stuff.
    Get a qualified tech to do any work on your bass since you're a beginner. If you feel comfortable with a soildering iron, it's be a nice project to do yourself, thou.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]