Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive to Active on Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thick_Strings, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Ok, I have a Fender Mexican Jazz Bass. I have no clue about circuits etc. Until now I have been able to survive on just getting what sounds good.
    I want to give the bass an active circuit, but I have no clue what that entails :confused:

Do i have to get new pickups with the circuit?
    Where can i get a new circuit?
    Do i have to install it myself?
    Are there many different types of active circuit or is there one best suited to the Fender Jazz?

Please explain fully, as I am a real beginner when it comes to the technical stuff.

Thanks

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Do i have to get new pickups with the circuit?
    No.

Where can i get a new circuit?
    Online, at local music stores, on eBay, etc.

Do i have to install it myself?
    Unless you get a qualified tech to do it, (HIGHLY RECOMENDED) it won't jump in the bass by itself. :);)

Are there many different types of active circuit or is there one best suited to the Fender Jazz?
    Their are alot of different pre-amp. The sadowsky outboard pre-amp is my favorite but you would need to do some drilling/routing into the bass. Alot of people like the J-Retro whick is a direct replacement for MOST Jazz basses. EMG make a few nice units, Bartolini, BassLines, etc.

Please explain fully, as I am a real beginner when it comes to the technical stuff.
    Get a qualified tech to do any work on your bass since you're a beginner. If you feel comfortable with a soildering iron, it's be a nice project to do yourself, thou.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]