Passive to Active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArchBass, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was curious to know how hard it would be to modify a passive bass and make it an active bass? Or can it be done?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Simple. Buy an active preamp, and/or active pickups, and install them. Of course, this may mean carving the bass up to accomodate the new electronics and battery.
  3. Is active better than passive? What's teh difference? Is there a big sound difference?
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Niether is really better or worse, it's more of a personal taste issue.

(All the gear ificiando's, correct me if I'm wrong here) With a pre-amp, your pickups' signals are amplified inside the bass before being sent to your amp/head.

With active you get a more "modern" sound. Usually you get a full EQ with an active bass instead of the signle tone knob. Eq's range from full 3 band "Low, Mid, High" Eq's, To two knob cut/boost knobs. The lower end Ibanez active's usually have a single bass enhancement knob.

Passive's have a more "earthy" or "Natrual" sound to them. They usually just have a a tone knob or two. (which cuts your highs) They also don't require a battery.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It is all a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer active electronics in my basses.
    Others prefer passive. Your ears have to be the judge.

And do a search. This topic has been covered many times. I am closing this one down, no need for another of these "Active vs Passive" threads.
    Any problems PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.