1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

passive tone > active tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mactac, May 2, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    is it just me, or are there other people out there who think the sound of a passive tone control sounds much better than active bass/treble controls?

To me, the lopass filter of an active tone control seems a lot more "musical" & mellows the sound nicely, rather than the shelving controls of an active preamp.

I can just turn the tone down a bit to mellow the sound on a passive, but turning down the treble on a passive doesn't seem to do the same thing...

discuss...

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Depends on the bass. On my Dark Star P and Revend PJ I like the organic'ness of the passive setup. I find it warmer. On the 44-02 the active Pre does the stingray thing well and it's still musical. If i had to choose 1, it would be passive. Happily I don't as they both have their place. Part of the issue with Active is that the pre can be overused. I set for flat and rock the mid's a bit and the blend a bit and that's about it. Extreme settings can make onboard pre's sound ... well, not good.

3. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    hmmm.. interesting. ya, it's not that i necessarily like the passive electronics better when flat (in fact i like the active sound more), it's what heppens when i reduce the highs ... the passive rolloff seems to sound so much better

4. Eh... I love variety, it makes life interesting. With that said, I could not just choose one over the other.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    strictly passive for me. i like the tone better and i don't have to spend more money on batteries and i don't have to change batteries. I am a plug and play bassist i don't like messing with 4523 knobs and such. my sound is in my fingers and my soul.

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    where can I get this "soul" thing? do they sell it on ebay? i'd like to improve my tone... ;)

7. srp400w2a.

Too many knobs! Run away, run away!

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1....I much prefer passive tone and simplicity.

"I do have 10 digital controls though, five on each hand."

George

9. I prefer passive. I even removed the active pick-ups on one bass and replaced it with passive pups. If I want to improve my tone I just upgrade to better sounding passive pup.

10. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Try Sam A** (joking). That "soul" thing you can get by practicing and playing a lot with open mind. Money isn`t gonna help in this case.

Good luck