passive tone control - how do you use yours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 7, 2003.

1. i never seem to use the passive tone control on either my precision (doesn't even cross my mind), or on my jazz bass (sometimes i want to mellow out the soloed bridge pup but i just squeeze in a little of the neck one ; and i then get a little less hum as well :D ) .

just wondered how you guys use them if at all. feel like i am missing out on something :meh: .

also i am putting a bass together and it would be kind of convenient to leave out the passive tone.

what you tink?
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you don't use it, then it wouldn't be an unprecedented move to leave it out. It would certainly simplify the bass a bit and be one less point of failure.

I mainly play active basses, but when I use my Hohner B2A in passive mode, I quite often roll off some of the treble... but if you always leave it fully on, then the only issue of leaving the control off is if you might change your mind at some future date.

3. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I don't use it at all.
  4. natasmi
    that picture is just so rock n roll!!!
    i love the all or nothing take no prisoners of the on/off switch
    made my day
  5. I keep mine rolled off most of the way the vast majority of the time, but I wouldn't want to not have the option.
  6. on a jazz the tone cut can lower volume as well if any of the vol pots are not on full
    i wired my P/J via a pan so i can cut the hot signal before it reaches the vol pot.
    now i can use the tone more and can 'feel' a certain advantage in the 2/3 cut region
    with the bridge only and full cut on tone and max vol is a sound i use occassionally
    but mainly P with a touch of J and the 0-2/3 range used on tone.
    the P alone with full tone cut is too muddy for me.
    if you are a no tone man then you can leave it out or fit a bypass to give a really clean and bright top end.
    when i had emg active in i definately used the .010 pf cut tone pot to the full since it seems to act more like a bass boost.
  7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man that switch is to high end for me.
    my beater bass doesn't have anything. just an output jack!

8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have mine with the high's cut all the way down (i guess that is off?)

i really want to go buy an audio taper pot (the one that actually adjusts the tone). the standard pot on my jazz just pretty much goes from off to on, nothing in between
  9. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Hey odonovan, I wish you could hear how much better those dimarzio pu's sound after I ran them straight to the jack. That bass is a cheapass samick plywood p-bass copy, got it for $100 bucks in 1989, it sounds and plays great. I loan it out to friends for gigs in emergencys and they want to buy it. Cheap is Sweet!
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I leave my tone all the way up all the time.

The again, I don't change strings too often.
  11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    i've seen some people who put the tone pot inside the cavity with no knob. it's invisible with pickguard/ cavity cover on, and, if you decide you want to fiddle with it, you can. obviously, this doesn't save you any time or effort wiring, but it's out of your way (i personally hate the look of a bass with millions of knobs and switches), and is there if you need it (though not too useful if you need to use it in the middle of a song).
  12. As with all my gear , as much treble as I can have without tone becoming too harsh or brittle .
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I keep them open all the way.

It's really better to cut treble at the amp than at the instrument.
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I rewired my J copy so that the tone pot is bypassed.
  15. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For me, it really depends on the bass and rig.

Fender '62 Reissue & SWR Redhead Combo-tone at about 7-8 on the neck pickup, about 5-6 on the bridge.

Fender '77 Jazz with Redhead-rolled back to about 7 1/2.

Active Fendowsky with SWR IOD and Epi 3X10 (tweeter off)-tone is at max, 10.

While these are general settings, I often modify them depending on the amp, the "newness" of my strings, whether I'm playing along to a stereo or at band rehearsal, and depending on the room when I'm gigging. You should look at how dynamic your playing environment is before you limit yourself. Also, if you keep it, all you really have to do is set one knob and forget it. If you omit it, there's no going back if a need should arise in the future.
  16. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's my take, whenever practical.
  17. The passive tone control really doesn't do anything good for me. I like that Alembic Q-filter tone control, that thing definitely does something that makes sense; seems like it works the way I always thought a tone control ought to. I have a Bartolini Q-Filter I haven't installed yet (it takes a battery), but will be trying a Bill Lawrence passive Q-Filter real soon (it replaces the tone cap); have ordered it to install with his P-46 pickup.
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how does it differ?
  19. Well i got a passive with neck P-pu and brindge J-pu.

bridge pu is always turned fully down (i just don't like the corny sound of it.
    tone is always full on bright
    Neck pu volume is set 'as desired' when playin with others: bit less than full open so i can easely ad some volume without running to the amp lol.
    when playing alone/practise: full open.