Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive versus Active Inputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blechtone, Jan 16, 2002.

1. I recently bought a new musicman stingray and while running it through my SWR redhead my amp gets hotter than it ever has before. I play in a cover band so the amp is usually running for about 5 hours straight. I've been playing a p-bass with active EMG pickups but I believe that the signal from the musicman is much hotter. I've tried using the active input on the amp but it does not sound as good as it does running it through the passive/active input. My questions if anyone can help are:

1. If you own a similar setup which input do you use and why?

2. Is the heat generated from the amp a concern?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If the "passive" input sounds better to your ears, by all means use it. You won't damage anything. If your preamp starts to overdrive because of the hot signal, then your bass would be too hot for that input, but if it doesn't you can use either.

The heat generated from the amp is only a concern if the amp doesn't have enough airflow around it. A premium quality amp such as the Redhead should have sufficient cooling capabilities in its design, provided some space around it to let it "breathe". If the amp starts to shut down because of the overheating-protection kicking in, then your amp runs too hot. If it doesn't, you're OK. Just don't burn your fingers on it.

BTW, this should do better in Amps. ;)

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What a great topic for the "Amps"

4. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I have a similar problem too. My Stingray's output will test an amp to it's limits!
    Peavey's are the worst for me. They break up in a bad way up in the trebly frequencies.
    Trace Elliot's are quite good.
    The best I have ever played through is a Hartke.
    They can take it BIG TIME.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I play a Stingray too but I would not say that the ouput is very hot - with all EQ-knobs set flat (on the bass of cause) the level is about the same as from a passive bass. I always use the passive input without any problems.
    However if you crank the bass knob, this thing puts out very much low bass and your amp will reach it's limit earlier.

Matthias

6. I've got a stingray and i agree that the output isnt that hot, about the same as my passive p-bass, but crank bass or even mids and youll probably get some clipping. I use the passive input without problems.
    Chris