1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive vs. Actice SRX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IbanezMan19, Mar 12, 2010.

1. IbanezMan19

IbanezMan19

Feb 1, 2010
    I posted awhile back and i've decided that i'm most likely going to purchase the Ibanez SRX695. The original model I saw had active EMG pickups, where the model I have found now is a 695DX with passive humbucker style pickups. I have the opportunity to get it for under $400.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASRX695DX

I play mostly hard rock and metal, would the loss of the high and lows using the passive pickups be detrimental to my playing, or could I just boost my highs and lows on the amp while cutting the mids?

Thanks for your input

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I say no.... because the passive pickups are high output... I almost bought that bass a month or so ago...

3. TheMarkV

TheMarkV

Feb 23, 2009
    PA
    it has an on board preamp, so it will still basically seem like an active bass. but if you ever need help to get the exact sound you want (especially for metal), you should get one of these: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSGEB7

this will quickly become your best friend. and it adds some good volume too. it makes bad basses sound good, and good basses sound better. get one

4. IbanezMan19

IbanezMan19

Feb 1, 2010
    Thats actually a great idea. I figure I can mess with the settings enough to get the sound I want. As soon as I took over playing bass for this band, I changed the bass sound to a more metal sound. Maybe having the midrange punch will be a nice touch. Give me more power, and if all else fails with the equalizer pedal, I can really get any sound I want.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020