1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive vs Active Eq's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogie1519, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bogie1519

bogie1519

Feb 25, 2012
    Beaumont Tex
    Sorry if this is posted in wrong forum. Just wanted some opinions about passive vs Active Eq's. Right now i've got a Ibanez SR 5000. First Active i've owned. I'm finding it hard to get "that" tone i like. I'm playing through a Fender Rumble 200. Between all the setting on the amp then the 3 active eq's on the bass i'm all over the place. Is there a trick on which comes first the rig or the bass when dialing in tone your looking for. I've played for years on passive basses found it much easier to get the sound i was looking for. Any ideas or anyone that likes Active's or passive would help. Thanks again great forum.

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It's nice to have an active/passive switch. If you use certain pedals, then it makes a big difference. Different amps respond differently as well. Is there no way to switch your SR to passive mode?

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Set your amp to flat and control the eq on your bass.

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Set both amp and bass flat. Take a listen and see what you think. I generally try and tweak the amp first, then fine tune with the bass preamp.

The only time I don't do this is with my Ibanez SR 505, as I tweak the bass pre amp to get the sound I want, and leave the amp neutral at first.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Generally speaking, use the amp EQ to get your room/stage/monitor tone. Use the onboard EQ for changes between or within songs.

wcriley likes this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    What sound are you after? What sound are you getting and what don't you like about it? What amp and cab do you have? What kind of music are you playing?

IMO the first trick is to buy a bass, amp and cab that will compliment each other and easily get the sound you want by not using much of the EQ. If you're struggling with excessive EQ adjustments I suggest you either need to test out different components in your signal chain or you need to decide if your "sound" is really what you need.

Some combinations just work. For me it was a Lakland 55-94 or Lull PJ5, an Aguilar TH500 and Berg CN212. Hardly any EQ adjustments required to get the best sound. I always start with all the controls at noon or in the off position. I then make small changes.

7. I always would set my amp flat, and "quick dial" in a tone I liked (if I was only using 1 bass) on the bass. By "quick dial" I mean I would get a somewhat roundabout tone I wanted, as usually I would be DI'd through the Pre-amp at live shows, giving me the "best" I could do with my tone through FoH (and cross my fingers the engineer would listen to my suggestions). Then for stage and the few folks up front set my amp to what I wanted.

If the engineer was going Post out to FoH then my bass would be relatively flat and I'd tweak the amp. Same goes for the really small venues where my rig is the FoH and total bass sound (rough shows indeed lol).

But in my own admission I usually can't leave well enough alone and have to tinker throughout the night, and usually those would be done on the bass itself. And my EDC was my worst culprit. I'd use the Low-mid sweep turning it making it a make shift "wah" always had fun with that lol.