Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive Vs. Active Inputs with F bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrandonS, Jun 29, 2001.

1. BrandonS

BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    I play an F bass which has separate volume controls for each pickup. Therefore I can't max out both without changing the tone that I like. This results in a lower than usual signal being received by the soundmen which doesn't give them enough to work with.

Could I run the bass in active mode and plug into passive inputs on my preamp to get more gain. Are there any problems with doing this. Any suggestions

Thanks,

Brandon

2. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

BrandonS,

regardless of this problem, I would try the passive input of the preamp first. Unless the passive input distorts at lower settings, there is no reason not to use it (you'll get more headroom) unless you really like the sound of the active input (it tends to be a little darker).

On to your problem. You need to send the sound folks a hotter signal. If you're going direct out of the amp, turn up the amp's gain (or the DI out volume if the amp has one). If you're miking the amp, turn up the master volume on the amp.

If you can't do the above because the stage volume would be too loud, then the sound people need to turn you up on the board (increase the trim or move the slider up).

LeonD