Passive Warwick - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gavc, Apr 19, 2004.

1. gavc

Jan 3, 2004
    Hi, love the discussions here...need some advice if anyone has experience of these?
    I've been offered a passive Warwick, a 5 string Corvette Standard, 2 yrs old, but too far away to try. Thing is, I've only tried actives before, and I'm unsure of whether it's worth considering, or is the sound going to disappoint?
    Any opinions?
  2. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I have a passive 4 string Corvette. The MEC pickups are total crap. BUT the bass is very high quality. I replaced the pickups with Basslines QP set and now I prefer the sound over any bass I've played, including my Warwick Thumb BO. The bubinga Corvettes have very special, deep & defined & organic sound.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Going to disagree with you about the pickups, I like every tone available from them.

I have a 96 Vette Standard 4 and it is a great bass. Try it yourself and see if you like it, some people don't like the sound, the large neck, or the hefty weight (I love everything about mine).

I feel Vette Standards are one of the best basses available for under a 1000 dollars brand new. Good construction, tone, reliability, etc.
  4. gavc

Jan 3, 2004
    Thanks - abark000, I'm interested that you like the passives still, what sort of music do you play? I'm worried that there won't be the range I'm expecting - I haven't played a passive bass in years now, so I'm really used to having easy sweeps of the bass/treble when I need it.
  5. The best Warwick I ever played was passive -- the discontinued Fortress Flashback model. It had lipstick-tube pickups, and the most outrageous snap and growl. Besides, Warwick bills itself as "The Sound of Wood", and I think if you really want to hear what the wood sounds like, you want a passive system.
    EDIT: Here's one on ebay -- a fretless 5-string. Never seen one in that configuration.
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    There are a lot of good, yet reasonably priced out-board pre-amps available. Even the venerable Sansamp BDDI can serve this purpose.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like and play everything from Primus to Marcus Miller to The Beatles to Black Sabbath. Very versatile if you can differ your attack and playing style. I use it to play slap, tap, pickstyle, fingerstyle, chords, and everything sounds great to my ears

I don't know about some people, but I wouldn't buy a bass that I liked the feel and construction quality, but hated the sound with stock pickups.

Also every german Warwick I have ever played has had MEC's they all sounded great, except for a Thumb Bolt-On which sounded and felt really bad to me. It neck dived in my lap (wouldn't have been a problem strapped on with my 4" leather/suede strap and the way I position my basses) and had no low end. It was a used Thumb and average condition so I do not know what had happened to it before I got to play it, but I was expecting a lot more from it based on the reviews of others.

I would have taken my Vette over that example of a Thumb any day
  8. Go for it! The control cavity is conducive to doing your own electronics upgrade whenever you get around to felling like it. The sound of the instrument alone is pretty good too.