1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passive wiring affect E string output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stingray5bbx, Mar 26, 2006.

1. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    Ever since I messed with the wiring in my bass, I felt like the E string has no balls at all. It plays like an E string but "sounds" like an A. Example: Playing an open A has just as much warmth and sustain as a fretted A. I'm curious if theres something in wiring (anything) that could cause this but not have an affect on higher freq? I've tried messing with pickup height of both P &J. The bass used to have tons of bottom end and a dark top end, but that all has seemed to reverse. It took all the fun out of playing bass :crying:

Heres this history for troubleshooting:

So as some of you have read in the past, I've been going through some electronics problems with my Yamaha passive PJ. I put in a preamp for a bit, took it out, and then had a pro look over my wiring mishaps (all he did was change the cap position). I've changed strings 2x, so I know its not a bad E string.

Thanks all

2. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    Any ideas??

Another question... I had to lengthen the pick up wires in the process. To check to see if there is a problem with the connection or the actual pickups, what should the resistance be between the + and - of just a pickup be?

3. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    I believe DC resistance on a typical single-coil j-style pickup is ~7-8k. A p-style ~10k.

If the pickups check out alright, all I can think is, assuming you have good solder joints, is that you may have overheated a pot, or the tone cap. If you're up to mucking around, without spending any more money, you could wire your pickups directly to the output jack, completely bypassing the volume/tone stack, and see if that improves anything.

4. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    thanks for the ideas... i think i'm going to check the resistance, and if they're ok i'm going to order new pots/cap and have a *good* solder-er do the work.