Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 11, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    :help: I am wiring up a Jazz bass, but I do not want any knobs. Just one switch. Can anyone help me with this. I want a 3 way switch. On-On-On. I want the tone to be set. I do not know where to use the .47 caps, or how to do this. I know someone out there does.
    Thanks in advance for your help :D

2. So you want a 3 pole switch (three positions that either connect neck or both or bridge) right? Whichever is the leg of the switch that directs the selected pickup to the ouput jack should be the one that you wire the cap to the ground. All of the ground wires should connect to the same point directly, this is called star grounding. The neck pickup will be connected to one lug, the bridge to another and both to the lug that selects the summed output.

Does that help?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    At what position do you want the tone set? If you just connect the cap across the output, you'll have the equivalent of having the tone rolled all the way back.

Full on or somewhere in between is going to require a resistor in series with the cap. The value of the resistor determines the amount of high-end rolloff... The easiest way is to set a passive tone control where it sounds good to you and then measure the resistance of the half that's in the tone circuit.

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    A 3 pole switch is correct. If I am getting this correctly, the switch will have 6 poles. The white wire from each pickup will go to each side. They will also connect to the center pole. The center pole will then run out to the jack as the hot? :confused:

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What kind of switch do you have? A mini toggle switch or something else?

If it's a mini toggle swith with two rows of three terminals, you'd use one row for each pickup with the two center terminals connected together and to the jack.

The pickups would be connected at opposite ends of the switch (on separate rows). Keep in mind that the bat on the switch points away from the contacts that are active...so if you want "up" to be the neck pickup, you'd connect it to a bottom terminal, etc.

I'm curious....why would you want to limit yourself so much tonally?

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am using a mini-toggle. To me it is not a limiting factor, but a million less hassles. I am tired of rolling off knobs. I run my bass wide open and I always have. On/Off. This is an experiment on a new bass that I am starting to work on. It is part of my GAS Experience :hyper:. I want something completly different and odd! I think that running the tone and the volume wide open will give me the freedom to forget about that and worry about the 10 million other things.
    Tonally, my cabinets and amps do very well. Also, I have chosen the woods of the body and neck very carefully to help that as well! :bassist:

7. Aha! I think what you want to do with the cap is throw it in the garbage. If you always run your bass wide open that will effectively remove the cap from the circuit via the pot. So if you take it out, you need no pot and no cap. No joke.

If it is a three position switch he needs it will have to have four sets of contacts. One for each pickup combination, and one for the signal to get to the output jack.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree with trashing the cap. Keep in mind that the bass will probably sound brighter without volume and tone controls...even ones full on.

The volume controls do load down the pickup a little bit and a full on tone control still rolls off highs. My favorite tone trick on a dual humbucker, single volume/tone knob guitar is to connect the tone control to the neck pickup side of the pickup selector switch so the bridge pickup is brighter and nastier and the neck is more normal.

If your bass is too bright, put a resistance equivalent to that of the volume controls (120K to 270K ohms I suppose if the pots are 250 K) across the output jack.

If you have an On-On-On DPDT switch, you still only have six terminals. In the middle position of the switch, I believe that the movable contacts (center terminals) are connected to both sets of stationary contacts (outside terminals)...this would allow both pickups to be on with the switch in the center position.

9. Oh yeah, that would be right. duh. :confused: :( oops my bad