Passive with 2 tone knobs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Would this not be useful? Seems like most of the old Gibson guitars had a passive tone knob for each pickup, but I don't remember seeing any current basses with that same setup. Seems like being able to roll the treble off of only one pickup instead of both would yeild a lot of useful tones. Roll the neck pickup tone all the way down for some thud and blend in a bit of snap from the full up bridge pickup to put an edge on it, no?

Has this setup been tried and generally found useless? Will the cap from one pickup pull down the tone from the other when the pickups are blended? If that's the case, is there a way to isolate the pickups with a couple diodes or something? Could that be made to work for series and parallel modes?
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    One example: Fender used that setup on the stack knob J basses. Concentric volume and tone for each pickup. Players preferred the V-V-T 3 knob setup. But, there are easy sources for parts, wiring diagrams, and 3-holr J pickguards so converting a J to a stacker is easy.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rickenbacker basses have a tone control (and volume btw) for each pickup, and yeah, that's the case: the tone control will affect both when the pickups are blended. But that's through the mono jack where the pickups are blended together into one signal. If you use the stereo Rick-O-Sound jack, the pickups are isolated from each other and have their own signal.
  4. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Interesting. Maybe I need to make it a Wade-o-sound... Get another preamp and use both channels of my power amp seperately through two cabs?? Wish I could afford that, heh.

Is there a way to isolate the pickups and tone controls without using preamp or stereo setup?