Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

passive with active preamp thingy on warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ga_edwards, Oct 15, 2002.

1. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    OK, just got me a new Warwick Corvette active fretless, to go with my Thumb BO. As far as I was aware, they both had exactly the same electronics and p/up's. The fretless sounded fine in the shop, but there was 3 other basses being spanked at the time.
    When I got home, plugged it in, and lo and behold, a load on p/up - amp interferance. I have since discovered that the p/up's are infact passive (Dynamic correction J's) with an active preamp, unlike the Thumb which is fully active, and noiseless.
    MAD, the UK distributer got onto Warwick HQ, they have replied saying this is how the corvette's are made, but I can get an upgrade, £55 for the p/up's, and £65 for the electronics... sure...right.
    Would I be out of line asking for a free upgrade, as the bass specs in the price lists, website, brochure's don't mention that this is really passive, and imply that they have the same electronics as the thumb?

Cheers

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hum...
    As far as I've seen in their website I thought warwicks were either passive-passive or active-active, I didn't know the passive-active was an option... :confused:

I would like to ask one more question about "Dynamic Correction" passive PUPs - Are they hum-cancelling ?!?

Thanks,
    Paulo

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    judging by the amount of generated, I'd hazard an educated guess at them being a high end single coil. And like all single coils, get noisy with a preamp.
    I don't think passive-active is an option, I certainly didn't ask for it!. I thought I was getting an active-active, going by the brochures and website.
    This has also got me thinking about my old cheap active 5-string (Vintage by JHS). that had a split P and J p/up configuration. The P was by nature hum cancelling, the J was a noisey bugger. Maybe this is passive-active as well.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    GA

You will have to prove that the advertising was misleading in some way.

The upgrade prices are not that bad. I paid £30 for a volume pot.

WHats the difference in price between a new Thumb and a new Corvette? My guess is that the Corvette is lower in price and thats part of the reason why.

If my post seems negative I am on your side. Keep us informed of your progress. I'm interested.

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thanks Edwards. I have just submitted a new thread to get more answers!!!

It seems to me, anyway, that there may be a problem with your warwick... I can´t believe they would combine a preamp to noisy single coils! Good luck.