Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daywalker, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Hey everyone, I had a question about passive pickups. All the basses I've every owned had active pickups, or at least an active pre-amp. I'm really liking the Corvette standard fretless, but it has the passive MECs on it. Are there any reasons why I should stay away from the passive pick-ups? Just wondering, thanks...

EDITED, sorry

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    passive pickups are fine as long as they sound good.

3. What's the question?

If it's "Are passive pickups any good?," then no, they're just different from active pickups, only you can determine if you like them or not and only you can prevent forest fires.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What is your question, dude?
    You say you only played basses with passive p-ups so far, and you are curious if you should get a bass that has passive p-ups? :eyebrow:

Anyway, passive p-ups are fine. Didn't hear much complaint about the passive Corvettes.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Sorry, I meant active, it's been edited...

6. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If they're good, they can be very good!

I have Villex Jazz Pups on my Modulus GVJ4 fretless, and I absolutely love them. They have Vol/Vol/Mid/Paasive Tone and the sounds I get from them are awesome. They are an upgrade option on Modulus Jazz bases, so you don't see them that often, but they are sweet! I couldn't be happeir with them.

7. passive p'ups allow the wood to speak for itself without any added oomph. When it comes to Warwick's creed, "The Sound of Wood" that's a good thing IMO.

~Ryan

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a thumb 5 for ten years, and the pickups that gave the thumb it's signature were active - either emg or mec. I tried some passive pickups in it and they just didn't sound as good in it.
    The reverse of course also applies, active pickups can sound awful in some basses.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

if you like the Corvette as it is and don't feel it's lacking, then you've pretty much answered your own question cause that's the bottom line.

There are advantages and disadvantages to different setups.

Active pickups

Advantages: long cords lengths that retain signal quality; quiet operation.

Disadvantages: no passive operation; no battery no sound; no series/parallel option; comparatively slim selection

Passive pickups offer the reverse of active - though traditional singles are the only ones prone to noise.

Onboard preamps w/passive pups

Advantages: basically permit all the advantages of both active and passive pups plus bost/cut of multi-band frequencies but control in passive mode is typically minimal.

Excluding onboard preamps; active pups tend to be clear and hi-fi in nature and passive pups often have a rawness in tone about them. Each of which can be appealing or not depending on taste and need.