Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pastorius sampler

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ttyR2, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Having heard of Jaco, but not owning any of his CD's, what would be the first three to buy, to get myself started?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    to state the obvious, get his self titled album. Now.

3. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    And for the two other CD's?

4. Start Here:

Essential Jaco Recordings

Of the albums listed, I would choose Jaco's self-titled debut (as suggested by StupidMatt), "Heavy Weather" with Weather Report, and either "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" or "Hejira" with Joni Mitchell. These will give you a good broad cross-section of his playing IMHO.

:cool:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My favorite 3 are:
    S/T
    Weather Report: The Jaco Years
    Word of Mouth

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ditto.

maybe throw "word of mouth" in there too.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I would say:

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
    Weather Report - Heavy Weather
    Jaco Pastorius - Word Of Mouth

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not too keen on "Word of Mouth" and I think it could easily put somebody new to Jaco off completely!!

I would say his best playing is on Joni Mitchell's albums and the best to actually hear him live is "Shadows and Light" - so he was musical director for this tour and you can actually get to see him on DVD!! :)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, "Crisis" maybe, but - 3 Views, Liberty City, John & Mary... his finest work, IMO!

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Not a Word Of Mouth fan myself either. I'd recommend his self-titled debut, Weather Report - Heavy Weather and Invitation (gotta love his tone on that album - soooo huge). Shadows and Light is great too, and Mingus is worth having just for The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

Alex

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I love Word Of Mouth from a composition & arrangement point of view, more than his playing/tone.

I guess if it's his playing and his sound that you're really interested in, Word Of Mouth doesn't exhibit it the way the self-titled album does. But for composition & arrangement, I think Word Of Mouth stands head and shoulders above the debut album. I don't think there's anything on there that equals "Three Views Of A Secret", "Liberty City" and "John & Mary". And Toots' harmonica playing throughout that album is superb.

12. If I hadn't heard Jaco's playing before I would probably go with:

Jaco
    Heavy Weather (Weather Report)
    Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (Joni Mitchell)

Having said that, and being a fan of both Jaco's playing and composing, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend:

Word of Mouth
    8:30 (Live Weather Report)
    Shadows and Light (Live Joni)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That'd be Joni Mitchell, not WR :)

14. You know Moley, I must have had that post up for less than a minute before I changed it to Joni... Either your stalking me or your damn quick- I still haven't decided which. ;) :p

15. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I really like the self titled and I thought the one or two things he did on black market were really good. but my favorite is the birthday concert

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Truth be told, so could his self-titled CD.

17. Three Jaco CD'S u must own:
    Jaco Pastorius
    The Birthday Concert
    And Joni Mitchell's "Don Juans Reckless Daughter"

Just for starters...

18. My favourite Jaco album is Heavy Weather. Im sure his self titled would be a good introduction too though.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love the Song 'Crisis' from Word of Mouth, I think it might have shown a little of what was going through Jaco's head at the time......and that's what true art is! But I agree it might not be a great starting point;) I would wait a couple weeks and see what comes out on the Jaco Anthology, it might be a good starting point.

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The latter :D

And, aren't you glad I preserved your embarassing screw-up for all to see? :D