Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pat Metheny, Austin City Limits

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rustyshakelford, Jan 22, 2003.

1. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    On Austin City Limits this weekend

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a big fan of his.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Thanks for the heads up:) I hope they get the whole hour and do Bright Size Life;)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool! PBS is one of the few channels I can pick up out at my family's land, which is where I'm going to be this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

brad cook

5. Poop. I have to wait until the 31st, and at 11 PM at that. Ah, well--I'm gonna have the band over.

6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I'm assuming it's with the Group, but is it possible that it's the trio in some incarnation? (fingers crossed) Either way, it'll be tres' bien.

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm giddy like a little girl. Talk about something worth recording. :)

8. *bump*

It's tonight. Don't forget!

9. Did you guys catch that jaw dropping solo by Richard Bona on "Bright Size Life"? CARAMBA!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    YES!! Awesome!! What kinda fretless was he playing?? That was really just a great solo (musically speaking) and a fantastic bassline. Loved his harmonic slides. I also really enjoyed Cuong Vu's trumpet playing. Really nice. Just all around great group of musicians.

Has anyone heard either of Bona's solo albums? Last nights performance makes me really curious.

brad cook

11. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    He was playing a Pensa-Suhr (sp?). It seemed reaaly small; I wonder if it was short scale.

His site and Amazon have clips you can download. They didn't seem bass-intensive.

Here in Austin last year, I saw posters in Borders announcing his tour. Soon after, though, the posters were removed and his website had no mention that he would tour.

On his soloing, I thought the sliding harmonics were entertaining. The double stops (D/C, C maj) were great.

How about in the coda on the two measures of E, that weird strumming thing he was doing. He was clipping; real hard attack.

And loooking at the video tape afterwards I was struck that during the 64th note portion of his solo, his right hand/fingers don't seem to be going all that fast. I guess that is just good technique.

RS

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Man!.......now thats a bunch of musicians! Everybody played for the song, Richard Bona showed how awesome of musician he is......F*&ck vibes, guitar, percussion, vocals.....bass;) I was really impressed with the drummer Antonio Sanchez..........just awesome! Cuong Vu was excellent.....even playing guitar! To me that was just egoless music making on the part of everybody.....especialy Rodby!!!

13. Does Pat still play with Jaco?

Just joking just Joking.